Copy Backup from WHS to External Drive? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to copy a backup to an external drive hanging off your WHS box?  Would be nice to do this manually for off-site back-up purposes (and for those of us without Vista Ultimate or Enterprise, which includes Complete PC Backup).

Thanks,

Kyle
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 2:08 AM

Answers

I want to know if to not slow down the connection during the day (in Italya ADSL is still not super quick), every night the WHS can automatically copy the shared folders (photo, music, personal file, etc) to a server with Cobian Backup or similar software, without having any PC on.
    You will need to find an online storage vendor that supports using their tools (there's always a client component) on Windows Home Server. You should also consider the volume of data you're backing up, and the speed of your internet connection; it could easily take weeks or even months (with a slow connection) to restore the data on your server over an ADSL connection.

A much better solution for the average user is to make use of the built-in backup functionality to place a copy of those critical shares on an external drive, and take that off-site. I use two drives, one of which is at home and the other in my office.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by webmind Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:29 AM
    Friday, February 5, 2010 12:27 PM

All replies

• Wednesday, August 22, 2007 2:23 AM
  • If you're talking about the backups that WHS does of your client PCs, then not really. It's possible to copy the backup database, but WHS isn't designed to be backed up itself. Doing so could cause problems down the road. And you can't copy a single backup of a single machine.

If you're talking about copying the files stored on WHS, then yes, you could attach an external drive and use a tool like robocopy or SyncToy. Once again, thoguh, WHS isn't designed to do this so it will require some ingenuity on your part to get everything working.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 2:24 AM
  • There is an add-in called "External Copy" that can backup shares to an external drive. It is a MS internal tool but it is mentioned in a training document so it might be made public.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 3:11 AM
  •  KyleBH wrote:
    Is there any way to copy a backup to an external drive hanging off your WHS box?  Would be nice to do this manually for off-site back-up purposes (and for those of us without Vista Ultimate or Enterprise, which includes Complete PC Backup).

Thanks,

Kyle

There is another program you can use, Acronis.com 's home version 10.  I've used this for years to make backups of program.  Better to have two types of backups anyway... I would never put my backups in the hands of one system.... right now I use acronis and Roxio's backup (backup my pc). 

With WHS, I'll drop backup my pc and only use WHS and acronis.... Acronis is great for off-site backups to a usb drive.... another layer in case WHS's backup becomes correupt...

Acronis.com also has a server backup solution that they say will work with WHS.... I've not tried it, it costs over $600...

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 4:56 AM
  • An excellent free program is Cobian Backup 8. You can set it to run as a service or an app. It has a full set of features (actually, it has a very impressive set of features for its price), plus it has an intuitive interface.  I have a daily incremental backup set up on my external USB drive. Check it out:

http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 6:27 PM
  • Dear all,
             I'm new to the forum since I'm deciding to buy or not a WHS system or a NAS.

I usually use Cobian to backup my data to an USB driver and to an online server to have 3 copies of every file, 2 in my house and 1 off-site.
    Since now with 3 laptops the USB drive is no longer so friendly (every time detached the USB driver adn attached to the next laptop) I was considering a WHS or a NAS.

I want to know if to not slow down the connection during the day (in Italya ADSL is still not super quick), every night the WHS can automatically copy the shared folders (photo, music, personal file, etc) to a server with Cobian Backup or similar software, without having any PC on.

Thanks

MAO
    Friday, February 5, 2010 10:14 AM
    You will need to find an online storage vendor that supports using their tools (there's always a client component) on Windows Home Server. You should also consider the volume of data you're backing up, and the speed of your internet connection; it could easily take weeks or even months (with a slow connection) to restore the data on your server over an ADSL connection.

A much better solution for the average user is to make use of the built-in backup functionality to place a copy of those critical shares on an external drive, and take that off-site. I use two drives, one of which is at home and the other in my office.

• Proposed as answer by webmind Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:29 AM
    Friday, February 5, 2010 12:27 PM
  • I want to know if to not slow down the connection during the day (in Italya ADSL is still not super quick), every night the WHS can automatically copy the shared folders (photo, music, personal file, etc) to a server with Cobian Backup or similar software, without having any PC on.

Thanks for the answer. 
    I prefer the online solution since I travel a lot and I prefer to be able to access all the file from different location.

By now I don't see any problem for the restoration since I can do if at work where I have a high speed connection. I need to check the online tool for Servage. By now I only use Cobian for backup and FileZilla FTP to tranfer multimedia that don't change every day :)

Bye MAO
    Friday, February 5, 2010 12:54 PM
  • A much better solution for the average user is to make use of the built-in backup functionality to place a copy of those critical shares on an external drive, and take that off-site.

Hi again!

Can the "built-in backup functionality" automatically sync only updated files to an external drive?

Would like to replicate the shared folders externally for off-site backup and am hoping to clone the folders, not compress them into a typical "backup file."

Am considering "GoodSync" & "Karens Replicator".

Thx

RG

Thursday, November 18, 2010 4:33 AM
  • This is effectively exactly what it does.
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 2:57 PM
  • So I added a newly formatted external drive (not as addt'l server storage but as a backup drive) and left the server on for a couple of days.

I looked today at the external drive and there are no files or folders on it save for a 1k DAT file. So, it is not backing anything up!

3d party utilities are looking better!

"Total Commander", "GoodSync" & "Karens Replicator" all /may/ do what I want...

Has anyone tried these programs as folder replication tools on a WHS?

Thx all
    RG

Monday, November 22, 2010 6:37 AM
  • Server backup isn't automated/scheduled, you do it on an "as needed" basis. You can learn more in the help files. 
    Monday, November 22, 2010 1:19 PM
  • Microsoft wrote a technical brief "Windows Home Server Technical Brief for Home Computer Backup and Restore "  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10788  that explains what to do.  This involves copying the database file to an external hd by using the remote desktop login and executing a series of commands using the command prompt.  The hard drive used for backup is NOT added in any way to the WHS drives.  it is a bit "un-automated" to say the least but as long as your database remains small enough for a single hd this should work still.  I don't know of any update on this information for Version 2 WHS 2011 though this is an area I thought Microsoft tried to improve.

At this moment I am trying to determine if V2 is any different in this regard and hope someone will help with a link or two.

My database is approaching a TB and I expect it to grow quickly.  So time is probably running out for WHS v1 with my old 32-bit hardware.

I knew all this at one time but converted my database backup drive to a WHS server backup drive (backup only shared folders) when that feature was added via service pack and forgot to get another drive for the database backup.

Eric

Eric Robert Lewis, Ph.D.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:49 PM