Motherboard replaced, can't read product key, can't activate Home Premium now RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a Toshiba laptop from Best Buy in Dec '08 with a one year Toshiba warranty.  It came with Vista Home Premium as the OEM operating system.  In Apr '09 the motherboard had to be replaced and the Geek Squad was unable to re-install Genuine Vista because the product key on the label on the back of my laptop was smudged and unreadable.  They said to call Toshiba, Toshiba said to have Geek Squad deal with the problem which they won't.  Called Toshiba and they then referred me to call Microsoft--I can't get through to a live person there that can help me with this and I feel like I am stuck in the middle with no one taking responsibility to get my Genuine Vista back up and running.  Anyone had this issue before? Any advice?  I don't believe I should have to pay for a retail version of Vista to fix this issue given my 1 year warranty on the product.  Who keeps track of the product keys??  Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 4:48 PM

Answers

• Hello mtmvista,

I'm sorry you have been getting the run around but there is, most likely, little we can do.  However, I did find a support article "How to identify, locate, and replace a product key" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811224 that maybe helpful. (Note: I am unsure it that article is specific to Retail keys only)

Sorry I couldn't be more help
    Darin MS
    Monday, June 29, 2009 5:43 PM