download.microsoft.com Server Not Available RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever I try to download any file from Microsoft Download Center (download.microsoft.com; including any links posted on support.microsoft.com) I get a "Server Not Found" error.  I have read several postings on this forum and others and it sounds like the problem may be with the DNS settings being used by my ISP (Comcast Cable in Washington, DC).  I cannot ping or tracert to download.microsoft.com... it is acting like my computer cannot resolve the DNS settings for that site.

I think a work around would be to replace "download.microsoft.com" with the IP address that their server ultimately resides at... is anyone able to send that?  I've tried h 207.46.248.248 but I think that's the IP for support.microsoft.com, not download.microsoft.com.

Any help would be great!  Trying to get my Outlook updated for the DST patch, but I can't download it.  Thanks in advance.

--chris
    Friday, March 9, 2007 2:52 PM

Answers

• After some further review, I have found a solution to this (courtesy of part of another post at http://ask.metafilter.com/52305/Im-a-NET-mess).  In case it helps anyone else... the following fixed my problem (which was that the DNS servers my ISP used did not resolve download.microsoft.com):

1.  Open Network Connections in Control Panel
    2.  Right click on your network connection (LAN, Wireless, etc.) and then Properties
    3.  Scroll down to "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and hit Properties
    4.  Select "Use the following DNS server addresses" and input the following:

Primary:  4.2.2.1
        Alternate:  209.131.97.97

5.  Click OK then Close

It should now work.  Good luck!
    Friday, March 9, 2007 5:06 PM