some shared files can not be written to RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running a p2p program (eMule) on my WHS server, setting the downloaded file location under the \Public share. I encountered a situation where download would eventually stop because the program can no longer write to the temporary files in the share, being denied write access. The add-in Conflict Resolver would report these files as "corrupt" which means it can't open them. The files can still be uploaded apparently, and the p2p program can still start downloading new unrelated files into the folder at the time. After rebooting the server, the unaccessible temp files are accessible again. 

Any idea on why this happens? Drive duplication is off for my /Public share.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 7:51 AM

Answers

• Other users have reported similar problems. It appears to be because of the way Drive Extender manages files in the shares, and there is no solution that I've seen short of moving the files eMule is accessing out of the shares. While you can put them in a folder you create and manage on your D:\ drive, best practice is probably to add a drive to your server which you don't have in the storage pool, and share the files from there.

You won't be able to manage any shares you create through the console, unfortunately.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 1, 2010 1:02 PM

All replies

• Do you refer to the file area as d:\shares\public   or \\localhost\public  - the later might work better for you.   Alternatively you might want to look at adding a drive just for downloading but not add it to the stroage pool, i.e. it's assigned to a new drive letter.  Then when downloads have completed they can be moved to the storage pool.
    --
    Monday, February 1, 2010 11:20 AM
  • Other users have reported similar problems. It appears to be because of the way Drive Extender manages files in the shares, and there is no solution that I've seen short of moving the files eMule is accessing out of the shares. While you can put them in a folder you create and manage on your D:\ drive, best practice is probably to add a drive to your server which you don't have in the storage pool, and share the files from there.

You won't be able to manage any shares you create through the console, unfortunately.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 1:02 PM

Thanks Ken. Using D:\some_folder seems intuitive. Are there some potential issues with doing that? Would WHS actively manage that folder too like it does with shared folders?
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 3:52 AM
  • Currently not - but you cannot be completely sure that the handling will not be changed with any subsequent WHS update (although I would not expect it).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, February 5, 2010 7:32 AM
  • There is one minor issue with using space on a drive managed by Windows Home Server. If you do so, that space will show up in the server storage pie chart as "system" space, and it could be very large.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 12:42 PM