Still able to access files/folders on server after logging out of Launchpad RRS feed

• Question

• Noticed that when users log out of their Launchpad, the files/folders on the server are still accessible when browsing the server over the network in Windows Explorer. Closing all Windows Explorer windows after logging off does not help, a new Windows Explorer window browsing on the network still has full access to whichever files/folders that previously logged in users had access to, without any prompts for username or password.

The only way I've managed to completely log out i.e. get Windows Explorer to prompt for a username/password when not logged into Launchpad is to log off the user or reboot the computer. Is this normal behaviour?

Friday, November 30, 2012 6:14 AM

Answers

• That's perfectly normal under certain circumstances. You don't need to be logged into the Launchpad (or even have the Connector installed) to browse shared folders. If a user is logged into a client machine with the same Username and Password as a defined user on the Server, they will have access to the shared folders defined on the Server Dashboard user access.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, November 30, 2012 12:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This behavior is normal.

To disable anonymous access on a local workstation or server computer

1.Open Local Security Settings. Click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Local Security Policy.

2.In the console tree, double-click Local Policies, and then click Security Options.

3.In the details pane, right-click Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users, and then click Properties.

4.On the Local Security Settings tab, click Disable, and then click OK.

For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet article:

Anonymous user cannot access a shared folder

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755781(WS.10).aspx

In addition, please also refer to the following link:

Managing Permissions for Shared Folders

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753731(v=WS.10).aspx

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 30, 2012 6:43 AM
  • Thank you for the reply, Arthur.

Checked my computer and found that that setting actually defaults to disabled. Did some further testing and found that I actually get the prompt for username/password if I leave the network share alone for a while after logging out of the Launchpad (can be between 10 to 30 seconds). Could be that it simply takes a while to fully log out. Will only have access to the computer that reported the problem sometime next week to test though.

Friday, November 30, 2012 7:30 AM
  • That's perfectly normal under certain circumstances. You don't need to be logged into the Launchpad (or even have the Connector installed) to browse shared folders. If a user is logged into a client machine with the same Username and Password as a defined user on the Server, they will have access to the shared folders defined on the Server Dashboard user access.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, November 30, 2012 12:19 PM