Anti-Virus for WHS -- how can this be? RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed WHS and was shocked to discovery two things: (1) WHS doesn't even bother making any alert about anti-virus; and (2) Microsoft Security Essentials does not support Windows Home Server ! I read that they're "soon" going to support it, but I want an answer to this question: WHS is based on Windows Server 2003 and basically looks exactly like Windows XP, so, why on earth is it so difficult to make MSE work on WHS? Shouldn't it be extremely simple...?
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:24 PM

All replies

• No, it isn't that simple.

If XP stores a file somewhere, it is stored usually on one place, exactly addressed in the file system.

If you store a file in shared folders on a Windows Home Server, there will be the tombstones, which are directly visible, the real files, which are usually stored on a different disk and with folder duplication another file on another disk.

So assuming a full scan detects an infected file it would have to handle the deletion/repair properly. Otherwise the file could either be replaced by the infected original, corrupted by having different copies or deleting the file behind the tombstone while leaving the tombstone intact or still be there, since the software attempted to deal with the tombstone instead of the real file. So interaction with Drive Extender on Windows Home Server is something, which should not be left open to random results - and therefore not that easy.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:26 PM
  • I've been using a freeware Virus product called Clamwin.  It was recommenced by someone here on the board and it works fine. As a matter of fact all my Win7 PCs got infected with spyware a few months ago and the server did not!
    Friday, October 1, 2010 11:04 PM