CRM for Outlook Sync Error for CRM 4.0 and outlook 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have just installed CRM 4.0 on a  64 bit machine with Windows Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2008 Standard R2.

We are in the process of installing the Outlook client on the use machines all having either outlook 2007 or outlook 2010. The Outlook client gets installed successfully on the machines and we are able to access CRM from the Outlook. But when we try to preform a manual CRM Synchronization from the Outlook client through the CRM menu we get the following error,

An error has occurred. Try this action again. If the problem continues, check the MS Dynamics CRM Community for solutions or contact your organization's MS Dynamics CRM Administrator.

Same is the case when we try the "Track In CRM" functionality.As a result the user is not able to sync tasks etc from CRM to Outlook.If we run the CRM Diagnostic Wizard tool on the client machine it reports the following,

The outlook synchronization subscription appears to be corrupted.

Even if we fix it using the Diagnostics Wizard, the problem still persists and it still gives the above mentioned error.

What could be the reason for this issue. We did install the necessary updates during the installation of the CRM server as well as the CRM for Outlook clients

The versions are as follows,

MS Dynamics CRM 4.0(4.0.7333.2149)
    Micrsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 for Microsoft Office Outlook (4.0.7333.2747)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Friday, November 5, 2010 12:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Rinish, your CRM build numbers look odd:

The build numbers for the server and client are different. While this is usually OK, it is better to have the same update rollups installed on the server and client machines.

The build number for the latest update rollup (currently 13) is 4.0.7333.3018, so your server and client machines are both behind.

The build number of your server, 4.0.7333.2149 which isn't a published build. Perhaps you got it from an MSDN trial subscription or something? 

Please uninstall the CRM client and then download and install the latest installation packaged and then the latest update rollup.

Let me know if this resolves your issue.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Friday, November 5, 2010 3:33 PM
  • Hi Neil,

Thank you for replying. I too had doubts that the issue could be because of the version mismatch between the server and the client. As the client version was the closest to Update Rollup 10, i went ahead and installed Update Rollup 10 on the server as well. This resolved my problem.

But now my concern is , if i am to restore this database on a different server, will i have to install the Update Rollup 10 again on that server. Also what is the process of uninstalling a rollup from the CRM Server.It doesn't seem to show up in the Programs and Features section in the Control Panel.

Thank you once again.

Rinish

Saturday, November 6, 2010 2:05 PM
  • Hi Rinish,

Yes, if you restore a CRM database which is on Update Rollup 10 to another CRM server the target CRM server should also have Update Rollup 10 installed. Insutructions for this and uninstall information are provided in the Microsoft knowledgebase article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=979347.

Regards, Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Sunday, November 7, 2010 7:17 PM
  • Hi Neil,

The Knowledge Base article only mentions that one can uninstall Update Rollup 10, but does not state anything about how to do it.

Thanks,

Rinish

Sunday, November 7, 2010 9:30 PM