none
No server reinstall option RRS feed

• Question

• I am having trouble with my WHS box and I suspect a bad system hard drive.  So I put in a new drive and I am trying to reinstall WHS but I am not getting the server reinstall option.  Does anyone know why this would be?

It looks like Olaf had the same issue on this thread http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/cd3c6bf4-2978-4174-a226-020858bb023c/

Anyone have any advice?  My system had 7 hard drives connected to the mobo - an Asus P5Q.  I specifically got this mobo for my WHS system as it can take 8 SATA drives.

All of my drives are SATA and are plugged into the mobo.  I swapped out the old system drive with a new drive and the WHS install sees all 7 drives but it just won't give me the reinstall option.
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 7:12 PM

All replies

• Could you try initializing the drive by installing it temporarily in another computer and creating a single partition on the drive?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 9:10 PM
  • Wouldn't that wipe any non-duplicated data on the data partition?  So I guess I will have to copy it off first. 

What do you mean by initializing the drive?
    Monday, November 30, 2009 1:38 AM
  • Wouldn't that wipe any non-duplicated data on the data partition?

Considering it's a new drive, there won't be any data on it.  :)

So I guess I will have to copy it off first. 

What do you mean by initializing the drive?
    Just connect it to a client and format it.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 2:07 AM
  • Someone has suggested just doing a new install on the new drive without any other drives attached and then attaching in the data drives from the previous install.  It is supposed to recognize them as data drives and rebuild tombstones, etc.

Does that make sense to you guys?
    Monday, November 30, 2009 2:45 AM
  • That's not going to work, sorry. With only a single drive, Windows Home Server will only install in "new installation" mode, and won't attempt to reintegrate the drives from the previous installation in the storage pool.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 30, 2009 4:14 AM
  • The only way of integrating data into a fresh installed WHS is documented in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Server reinstall is not offered, if the data disks are not seen (SATA drivers often play a role here) or if the WHS related information on more disks than the replaced disk is unusable (which could happen, if WHS crashed before).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, November 30, 2009 10:28 AM
  • I am having to do this "brute force" method of copying data over.  It is taking me several days since I have 6 TB of storage space - painful!
    Monday, December 7, 2009 5:50 AM