The Environment is Incorrect RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to restore from a successful backup. It slowly opens the volume ("C" in this case) and at approximately 80% I receive an error message: "The restore process did not succeed - the environment is incorrect." I found the walkaround item #587908 in connect which requires the following:

* From Device Manager, delete the 'Home Server Restore Driver 2' system device.
    * Rename the still BackupReader.sys to BackupReader.sys.old in the system32\drivers directory

Problem is I can not find Home Server Restore Driver 2 in systems in Decice manager or BackupReader.sys in system32\drivers.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and the latest version of Vail

Obviously I'm doing someting silly. Can anyone point me in the right direction

Thanks, Pete

• Moved by JimR1 Saturday, October 23, 2010 1:42 PM (From:Windows Live OneCare Backup and Restore)
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 5:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Obvious question: you did look for it on the Windows 7 client?

1. Looks like this is caused by some another problem.
    Would you please report this on Connect?

2. Do you get "system event ID 24620" as mentioned in feedback item #587908 ?
    If yes,
    Check for the system device "Windows Server Solutions Computer Restore Driver".
    If this device exists then my guess would be that it somehow got corrupted as there is no BackupReader.sys driver.
    To check click properties->"Driver" tab->"Driver Details". It should say "file version 6.1.7646"?).

I have never seen this problem. Never tried - but to solve this I would go as follows:
    * From the Windows 7 Device Manager, delete the existing "Windows Server Solutions Computer Restore Driver".
    * Uninstall the VAIL connector.
    * Reboot
    * Re-install the VAIL connector.

This should trigger a fresh install of the VAIL restore driver.
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 8:23 PM