The Environment is Incorrect RRS feed

• Question

• Tried to restore from a successful backup. Immediately upon loading a drive (doesn't matter which drive- I tried several on my multi-drive desktop computer)- but before any files in that drive were displayed, I received an error message: "The restore process did not succeed- the environment is incorrect." Any ideas?
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:42 PM

Answers

• Problem solved (at least on my client)
    See also feedback + comments on item #587908 in connect.
    In my case the problem was  caused by leftovers of the WHSv1 BackupReader drivers.

To try and solve this:
    * From Device Manager, delete the 'Home Server Restore Driver 2' system device.
    * Rename the still BackupReader.sys to BackupReader.sys.old in the system32\drivers directory.
    * Reboot the client.
    * Uninstalled the VAIL connector.
    * Reinstalled the VAIL connector.
    Verify that the  'Windows Server Solutions Computer Restore Driver' system device is now present.
    A new version of BackupReader.sys is found in system32\drivers.
    Start Dashboard, backups should now open as expected.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by Rosemont60 Friday, August 27, 2010 7:28 PM
    Friday, August 27, 2010 7:05 PM

All replies

• Are you maybe using the Preview/Refresh and possibly using an "old" restore DVD/CD? If so, that might be your problem. There are some incompatibilities between the Preview and earlier builds.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"Rosemont60" wrote in message news:d7f933e4-cd72-47bb-90d9-077d04b5f995@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Tried to restore from a successful backup. Immediately upon loading a drive (doesn't matter which drive- I tried several on my multi-drive desktop computer)- but before any files in that drive were displayed, I received an error message: "The restore process did not succeed- the environment is incorrect." Any ideas?

Nancy Ward
    Friday, August 20, 2010 12:59 AM
  • No- I am not using the Restore CD- rather, I am using the Restore option within VAIL to test restoring a single file- if I recall this function mounts the drive as Drive Z so files can be individually restored.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 1:04 AM
  • Ah, I haven't gotten that far yet. In fact, didn't know it existed yet. I just did a second install to get it right. :) I read a lot before I do anything. Not conducive to speed, but this tortoise gets there eventually. I haven't even created the Restore DVD yet. :(

Since you bring it up, that's gonna be one of my next projects. Not to see what someone else may have done wrong, but to confirm your findings if I can. The more of us who get these errors, the quicker the Team will figure out what's wrong.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"Rosemont60" wrote in message news:7f70dda0-1841-49da-b530-6227ca2ccabf@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

No- I am not using the Restore CD- rather, I am using the Restore option within VAIL to test restoring a single file- if I recall this function mounts the drive as Drive Z so files can be individually restored.

Nancy Ward
    Friday, August 20, 2010 1:13 AM
  • Tried to restore from a successful backup. Immediately upon loading a drive (doesn't matter which drive- I tried several on my multi-drive desktop computer)- but before any files in that drive were displayed, I received an error message: "The restore process did not succeed- the environment is incorrect." Any ideas?
    The first thing you should do is file a bug report on Connect.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 3:31 AM
  • Thanks for replying Kariya21. Yes, I absolutely will file a bug report at Connect. I was just trying to make sure that it wasn't a human error (mine!) doing something wrong before I filed the report. I have a simple setup- and VAIL Beta 1 worked fine. But this apparently is an unknown issue, so I will file a report.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 4:33 AM
  • Hi Rosemont60,

I am also having the same problem. I have had three backups since the install and all backups give me the same error (the environment is incorrect). It looks like it has been reported on connect. Keep us informed on what you find out.

Thanks,

Arnie

Friday, August 20, 2010 10:16 AM
  • Can you give us the link to the bug, Arnie?

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"abulaski" wrote in message news:1f81fef7-8bac-456c-98e9-6bc28d68d4f9@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi Rosemont60,

I am also having the same problem. I have had three backups since the install and all backups give me the same error (the environment is incorrect). It looks like it has been reported on connect. Keep us informed on what you find out.

Thanks,

Arnie

Nancy Ward
    Friday, August 20, 2010 3:14 PM
  • Hi Nancy,

Here is that link:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/574154/restore-fails-environment-incorrect

Thanks

Arnie

Friday, August 20, 2010 3:35 PM
  • Thanks Arnie- I added my name to the bug report
    Friday, August 20, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Same here!
    Investigating a bit further. About to file a bug report to Connect and validated yours.

- Theo.

Friday, August 20, 2010 9:47 PM
  • Problem solved (at least on my client)
    See also feedback + comments on item #587908 in connect.
    In my case the problem was  caused by leftovers of the WHSv1 BackupReader drivers.

To try and solve this:
    * From Device Manager, delete the 'Home Server Restore Driver 2' system device.
    * Rename the still BackupReader.sys to BackupReader.sys.old in the system32\drivers directory.
    * Reboot the client.
    * Uninstalled the VAIL connector.
    * Reinstalled the VAIL connector.
    Verify that the  'Windows Server Solutions Computer Restore Driver' system device is now present.
    A new version of BackupReader.sys is found in system32\drivers.
    Start Dashboard, backups should now open as expected.

- Theo.

• Marked as answer by Rosemont60 Friday, August 27, 2010 7:28 PM
    Friday, August 27, 2010 7:05 PM
  • Thanks, Theo- This fix solved the problem for me. I am now able to Restore. Thanks for your time and effort!
    Friday, August 27, 2010 7:29 PM