possible problem with windows live onecare malware protection RRS feed

• Question

• I only have Windows live onecare installed, nothing else.  I recently noticed the Red sign with the X.  It is saying that windows live onecare is on but is reporting its status to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported. Use the program's automatic updating feature, or contact the program manufacturer for an updated version!  the firewall keeps shutting itself off as well??  Im a bit goofed when It comes to this stuff, so if anyone can advise me in english terms, that would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanx Kazz
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:39 AM

Answers

• This is a known problem that recently occured between Windows Live OneCare and the Windows Security Center in Vista.  It's actually occuring with many different anti-malware products, since the real issue is in Vista Service Pack 1.  On potential way to 'fix' this is to install Windows Vista Service Pack 2, which should be offered if you manually run Windows Update.

Another much simpler option is to simply turn off the false notifications from WSC, since as long as your OneCare Icon is Green it is actually protecting you completely.  It''s simply the false indication from WSC that needs to be temporarily disabled until an update to OneCare is released in the next few weeks to resolve it permanantly.

The thread at the following link discusses all of this in detail, but the WSC notification workaround mentioned above is in the first few posts marked as an 'Answer' with a green border.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareupdate/thread/297455ff-0484-4dd6-9627-ca1b0e30b015

Rob
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:38 AM