none
Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {XXX} failed due to the following error: 80080005 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was trying to run a job through CCS, which drives an application (Solidworks, to be more specific) installed on the compute nodes through its COM based API. When running in the interactive log on mode, the job runs without any problem. However, as a CCS job, it always fails to launch the application process, with a COM exception:

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {XXX} failed due to the following error: 80080005

My guess is that the security context of a CCS job is somewhat different from that in an interactive log on. I have given the submission user full rights over the compute node but that didn't help either.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!
    Friday, July 18, 2008 6:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I've been doing a little research on this end trying to see if there are some simple workarounds for the problem but it keeps coming back to Solidworks and their code. My guess is that they're using some kind of resource in the interactive session, as a result, won't start up correctly in non-interactive sessions.

I can help the Solidworks folks get plugged into our developer support organization if you want to open a support issue with them. I believe they have a full support contract with Microsoft but if they need help navigating all the options I can help. My email is "ryanw" at Microsoft.

Sorry I don't have a clever workaround,
    ryan
    Ryan Waite - Product Unit Manager - Windows HPC
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 6:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When we start jobs on the compute nodes we log on as the user that submitted the job. We do not log into the interactive session, but I don't think that's the problem here.

Is Solidworks installed locally on the compute node or are you running it from a network share?

Have you tried logging in locally as a user on the compute node to run a solidworks job?

Thanks,
    ryan
    Friday, July 18, 2008 11:14 PM
  • Thanks for replying.

Yes Solidworks is instaled locally on the compute node. I tested the job on the compute node and it ran without any problem locally. The COM exception only happened when running through CCS.

I googled the error and the only (not so perfect) solution I could find so far is to change the DCOM config of the Solidworks application to 'run as an interactive user'. When there is an interactive user session on the compute node, the Solidworks app can start within that context. This requires a user to log on to the compute node locally though, which is not desired in a cluster environment.

It seems that by not logging into the interactive session, some security rights/context are missing for the job. Not too sure what to do about it.
    Monday, July 21, 2008 9:23 AM
  • Hi,

I've been doing a little research on this end trying to see if there are some simple workarounds for the problem but it keeps coming back to Solidworks and their code. My guess is that they're using some kind of resource in the interactive session, as a result, won't start up correctly in non-interactive sessions.

I can help the Solidworks folks get plugged into our developer support organization if you want to open a support issue with them. I believe they have a full support contract with Microsoft but if they need help navigating all the options I can help. My email is "ryanw" at Microsoft.

Sorry I don't have a clever workaround,
    ryan
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 6:53 PM