none
Unable to Ask a Question on forums using IE8 on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I am now unable to Ask a Question on forums using IE8 on Windows 7. Last successful post was in Nov 2012. It blanks out the title of my question and shows Unexpected Error.

I now have to use Google Chrome to post questions, a browser which I do not otherwise use!

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• STHook,

Be aware there seems to be used for almost every forum different software so tell which forum. Otherwise we get the same discussion here like in Babylon and some persons start telling they don't have the problem, which is of course completely irrelevant, but that it seems where the ones responsible for these forums are looking at.

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:35 AM
  • Thanks Cor. I got your reply by email but am unable to see it in the browser (in IE8 or in Chrome)!

In IE8 I was unable to post a question in THIS forum, also Dynamics CRM, Dynamics CRM Development and Dynamics CRM Deployment.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:53 AM
  • Don't you want to upgrade to IE9? Propably that would work.

The following is my signature:

Powershell Programmer & Advanced Lua Programmer

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

I published the URL's for the icons in my signature.

Please contact me, before reporting me, thank you.

[string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('577076797174-87661607769657424-8687168065964').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:17 AM
  • I can't upgrade to IE9 as it does not work with our current CRM.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:22 AM
  • It's worth a try but most of all it won't really help.

Delete the cache in IE8.

If you should not know how:

Internet options -> General -> Browser History -> Delete...

Select everything there.

The following is my signature:

Powershell Programmer & Advanced Lua Programmer

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

I published the URL's for the icons in my signature.

Please contact me, before reporting me, thank you.

[string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('577076797174-87661607769657424-8687168065964').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '

• Edited by Livio von Büren Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:36 AM forgot the "not"
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:35 AM
  • Thanks, but it didn't help.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:42 PM
  • Several users in SQL Server Group confirmed this exact issue: Kent Waldrop, Alejandro Mesa and Tibor K. Bonnie from C# forum has the exact same problem also.

I am using Google Chrome and don't experience the problem. But Google Chrome is my default browser, I use IE only for one specific site and for tests.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:13 PM
  • Several users in SQL Server Group confirmed this exact issue: Kent Waldrop, Alejandro Mesa and Tibor K. Bonnie from C# forum has the exact same problem also.

I am using Google Chrome and don't experience the problem. But Google Chrome is my default browser, I use IE only for one specific site and for tests.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Like me since we have those deproved views of the MSDN .Visual Studio forums

:-)

And I never change it back anymore.

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:35 PM
  • Hi Naom,

I was sure I saw a reply from you in this forum. I've replied to it.

Seems it is gone to the bottom

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:49 PM
  • And it is again there

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:50 PM
  • And it is again there

Success
    Cor

Did you refresh the page to see it? There's a thread going on about this bug, but I cannot repro it.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:35 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks, but it didn't help.

Try clicking the Compatibility View button.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:36 PM
    Owner
  • Okay, I submitted this bug as a bug request. 

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:51 PM
    Owner

• Did you refresh the page to see it? There's a thread going on about this bug, but I cannot repro it.

I recognized it two times only in this forum.

(Maybe because this forum is so busy currently :-) )

Strange was that after sending the reply, that a part was disappeared. and looking at it again, it was again up from the bottom.

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:51 AM
  • UPDATE: The team created Bug #1112610.

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:18 AM
    Owner
  • I have exactly the same problem in IE8, "Unexpected error"

I have to use Firefox to add items to the forums !! (many Visual Studio forums)

Does IE8 have a facuility like Firefox;s Firebug ?

I turned on IE8 "Developer Tools" but could not see anything useful in there (the tool has no textual find in it)

Thanks

(i had to use firefox, to post this post as well!!)
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 5:28 AM
  • Trust me you are not alone.  Using IE8 (Win XP) and IE9 (Vista) I am no longer able to post to this or to the Expression Web forums.  This has been true for many days now.  I have to switch to FireFox.

IE gets  Submit - "Unexpected Error" - Submit - "Unexpected Error" ... for as many times as you care to try.

Makes me think the forum team never tests with IE, or is campaigning for alternate browsers. ;)

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:51 AM
  • NB: This issue seems to have been fixed, see other similar threads
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 12:24 AM