Foreign Transactions not downloading RRS feed

• Question

• Recently, I've started having trouble when downloading my statements from Chase. I've been downloading them as QFX files and changing the extension to OFX before importing. It's been working fine.

However, over the last few months, when I download the files and import them, any transactions made outside the country aren't included. The transactions are visible in my statements, and I do download the foreign transaction fees, but the actual transactions themselves aren't there, so I have to enter them manually into Money.

I called Chase and of course they told me they don't support MS Money anymore and suggested I contact Microsoft ;-). I did download a CSV file just to look at it and the transactions are there.

I've been considering switching over to Quicken since I don't want to be stuck if Money suddenly stops working, but didn't really want to be forced into it since Money has been working perfectly for me all these years - even with Windows 10!

Any ideas as to what's happening and what I can do about it? We live near Canada so travel up there pretty frequently and it's a real pain to have to enter all these transactions by hand.

Thanks!

Marie

Sunday, June 9, 2019 5:56 PM

Answers

• The problem is that both transactions have the same FITID:

<FITID>2019041874064499107820182420807

Each transaction should have a unique FITID. Chase should know that, if you want to take it up with them.

Also, if that same transaction downloads again, it needs to have the same FITID as it did last time, to avoid a duplication.

If this became a repeated occurrence, we could figure out a way to deal with a program to process the file. For now, just edit the FITID for the missing transaction to something unique.

• Marked as answer by Morettina98 Saturday, August 3, 2019 2:16 PM
    Saturday, August 3, 2019 3:30 AM

All replies

• Chase the credit card as opposed to Chase the bank, I presume.

You could examine the QFX file to see if the transactions are there OK, whether they are malformed, or whether they are missing. If they are missing from the QFX file, they might also fail to download into Quicken. QFX and OFX files are tricky to read initially.

There is also a way to make Money field QFX files without renaming, but let's not worry about that yet.

Sunday, June 9, 2019 9:10 PM
  • I never got a notification that anyone had replied to this so just saw this message.

So I just downloaded a statement from the last time this happened and looked at the QFX file using Notepad, and it appears that the transactions are there, but I can see a problem. There's a line that shows Foreign Transaction Fee with an amount and underneath the actual charge. The amounts seem to be reversed. Here are 2 lines:

<FITID>2019041874064499107820182420807<NAME>FOREIGN TRANSACTION FEE</STMTTRN><STMTTRN><TRNTYPE>DEBIT<DTPOSTED>20190418120000[0:GMT]<TRNAMT>-90.94

<FITID>2019041874064499107820182420807<NAME>IKEA MONTREAL</STMTTRN><STMTTRN><TRNTYPE>DEBIT<DTPOSTED>20190418120000[0:GMT]<TRNAMT>-2.17

So in this example, the foreign transaction fee was $2.17 and the Ikea charge was $90.94. I don't know what the format is supposed to be, but they look pretty much the same to me, although I do note that the FITID at the beginning is the same for both charges.

When I import these into Money, I get the correct foreign transaction fee but never see the actual charge. This is a new problem because 2 years ago, I had no problems importing statements with these transactions.

So any ideas? And if there's a way to make Money import these without renaming, I'd love to hear about it. I'm starting to get a bit nervous about using Money (which I've been using for over 20 years now). I'm getting ready to migrate everything to a new laptop and hope it will work without too much trouble.

Friday, August 2, 2019 7:27 PM
  • The problem is that both transactions have the same FITID:

<FITID>2019041874064499107820182420807

Each transaction should have a unique FITID. Chase should know that, if you want to take it up with them.

Also, if that same transaction downloads again, it needs to have the same FITID as it did last time, to avoid a duplication.

If this became a repeated occurrence, we could figure out a way to deal with a program to process the file. For now, just edit the FITID for the missing transaction to something unique.

• Marked as answer by Morettina98 Saturday, August 3, 2019 2:16 PM
    Saturday, August 3, 2019 3:30 AM