cant activate windows after mother board upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I recently upgraded my windows 7 PC with a new motherboard to allow more memory

since the upgrade i cannot activate windows, the link just does nothing no matter how many times i click on it, it changes colour when my mouse hovers over the link but nothing happens when i click the mouse.

Also if I click on the change product key link that does nothing whatsoever. My microsoft office reactivated OK with no errors.

The only other issues that i have notices is that the disk indexing isnt working , if i put anything in the search box on my home page it gives the following error if i press enter

"Windows cannot find 'search query= (my search criteria). Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.

The search error was present before the upgrade. My concern is my days till to activate timer is counting down and i dont want my PC to lock me out

Can you advise

Thanks

Dave

Friday, October 11, 2013 8:58 AM

Answers

• A couple of things:

1) This is the Windows XP forum.  The first thing you need to do is read this post and follow the directions.  Then go to this forum and post your results in a new thread of your own making.

2) If your Windows OS is an OEM version, then it is licensed only for the original motherboard it came with.  If this is the case, you will need to purchase a Retail copy of Windows to install on it.

Friday, October 11, 2013 2:12 PM