WHS Photo-Album Add-In? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

my question: would it be able for anybody of you to create an add-in for showing the jpeg files (stored in special folders) as a photo-album. Means you'd see a preview of the pictures, could add comments, click the photos etc. ...

Friday, May 4, 2007 3:07 PM

Answers

• That desn't sound like an appropriate add-in for the Console. The Console is for managing your server. The functionality you're describing is more of an end-user application.

And there are lots of such applications out there already. Myself, I pointed my Picasa at the Photos directory on my WHS. I can use Picasa from any PC in the house to tag my pictures, etc.

Friday, May 4, 2007 3:28 PM

All replies

• That desn't sound like an appropriate add-in for the Console. The Console is for managing your server. The functionality you're describing is more of an end-user application.

And there are lots of such applications out there already. Myself, I pointed my Picasa at the Photos directory on my WHS. I can use Picasa from any PC in the house to tag my pictures, etc.

Friday, May 4, 2007 3:28 PM
  • Check this program out, the only problem is it only works for phyisical drives and not share. Maybe a little tweaking about fix it

http://www.dotnetheaven.com/Uploadfile/desaijm/asp_net_photoalbum02272006070030AM/asp_net_photoalbum.aspx

I used this all the time and it works great, you can easily change the style sheet to your liking. I am not a programer so I don't know the first thing about change the code. But maybe some smart programer will know what to do
    Friday, May 4, 2007 10:44 PM
  • If you want a full featured gallery, I would suggest http://gallery.menalto.com/
    True it isn't asp, however I have used it before and it is really quite nice (and is free).
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 6:31 PM
  • However, one of the key selling points of the HP incarnation of WHS IS its built-in photo album functionality - for example, see http://gizmodo.com/photogallery/HPMicrosoftHomeMediaServer/1770129?viewSize=thumb800x800

Sunday, May 6, 2007 6:38 PM
  •  Crash2975 wrote:

However, one of the key selling points of the HP incarnation of WHS IS its built-in photo album functionality - for example, see http://gizmodo.com/photogallery/HPMicrosoftHomeMediaServer/1770129?viewSize=thumb800x800

Of course, they include such functionality. But they don't include as an add-in extension of the Console, which is what the original poster was asking about.

In the context of WHS, an add-in is something that extends the functionality of the server's Console.I was arguing that it would be pointless to put photo-album type functionality in the Console, which is what the original post was requesting.

Of course it makes sense to have a photo album application that can make use of the photos you store on your WHS. But having the photo album application itself interface with the user via the Console makes no sense.

Monday, May 7, 2007 2:18 PM
  • You all are right! Thx for helping. An add - in (Console) makes realy no sense for this purpose.
    Monday, May 7, 2007 2:30 PM
  • @byKnight

Agreed, such would be pointless; not seeing a mention of console in the initial post, I assumed Wasco wanted such functionality to be available thru WHS, as opposed to simply browsing the file list in the share. We are agreed Smile

Monday, May 7, 2007 3:06 PM
  •  

A photo album component would make much more sense as an additional tab in the Remote Access web site...

eg. http://brendon.davis.to/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/homeserver.jpg

I am thinking of playing with iFoto to see if I can get it working. If I do get anywhere I'll let everyone know.

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 3:45 AM
  • Being that iFoto is PHP based meaning you'd have to have an IIS component to serve it, why not select something based on ASP.Net, like DotNetGallery > http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+Image+Gallery/default.aspx ?

I have heard some good things about this one and I am currently trying to figure out a nice, robust solution to giving my family members gallery photo browsing of the photos on my WHS installation.

EDIT:  I just got a sample folder to run this app on my WHS installation.  It can be viewed by going to my server: http://www.sinkevich.net and logging in with U:Tester P:Tester11!

You will see the link in the webpages area (with a non-working icon at the moment, I know).  I haven't gotten any page navigation yet as this just was thrown in to see how it would mix and work under WHS.  Feel free to make suggestions or observations.

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 1:34 PM
  • Very nice. And it's quite fast too!

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 2:52 PM
  • This looks just like the way I want to display my photos. Will it handle sub folders as separate sets of images of does it display the whole lot as one set of thumb nails?

Once you have got it working fully could you provide a simple write-up on how to change/configure the files required.

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 4:40 PM
  • It will handle subfolders, yes.  I just threw this up to see how fast it would operate under WHS, if there were any integration issues, etc.  It literally took me 5 mins to implement this for the first time to what you see already.  I will put some more time in on it as I like it very much as well and then I will document it for everyone else.
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 4:43 PM
  • Excellent! Good demo, many thanks. My mother will be very pleased to have that functionality. That's what I thought Wasko was after...
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 11:37 PM
  • Good work. Very useful. Looking forward to how to set this up.
    Wednesday, May 9, 2007 7:26 PM
  • virtuapete,

Looks sweet! Tried it out on your WHS and I think I'd like to have it for the relatives to see pics without having to upload to an outside server.

Looks like your mod has changed from a Tab to a dedicated section in the remote access page. Do tell how you did it...Can't wait.

Nice job!
    Friday, May 11, 2007 11:28 PM
  •  

with a little bit more work you could use this http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/Nileblitz_Photo_Gallery.asp which is free and includes the source code.

Monday, May 14, 2007 1:09 PM
  • I would love to know how you implemented it as well.

Also, would it be possible to restrict what folders are shared? 

Saturday, May 19, 2007 2:35 PM
  • virtuapete

Was able to get your solution up an running (DotNetGallery). However before I pay for the software a few questions

I did not see a way to create folders or upload multiple files.

Maybe I missed it but some of the features mentioned on their website was not evident- do I have to buy the full version to see them.

Anyway thanks for the post on this issue.

I have been using the Pictures in Sharepoint Servicse 3.0  ,however I was looking for a way to have it monitor the WHS share and update, any help??.

Rouza
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 5:38 PM
  • Pete,

Have you managed to get this software (DotNetGallery) to work with the shared folders in WHS?  Specifically, the \\server\photos shared folder.

This is a nice application, but it would be better if it could use the shared folder that WHS has setup for photos and not have to use the small c: drive to store the photos.

David

Sunday, May 20, 2007 11:14 PM
  • David

That is exactly my experience, tried pointing to the WHS share but could not get  it working.

Not sure if it can be, maybe the full version will.

Did you get the Albulms to work?

Any ideas.

I

Monday, May 21, 2007 2:30 AM
  • I didn't look at the folder side of the program.  I assumed that you would need to store the photos on the c: drive as well, so I didn't bother.
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 9:10 PM
  •  virtuapete wrote:
    It will handle subfolders, yes.  I just threw this up to see how fast it would operate under WHS, if there were any integration issues, etc.  It literally took me 5 mins to implement this for the first time to what you see already.  I will put some more time in on it as I like it very much as well and then I will document it for everyone else.

Pete

Did you get this working fully? and have you had time to produce any simple documentation? This still looks the best solution (I am not keen on Flickr).

Thanks in advance.

Simon

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 10:18 PM
  • I have been short on time lately but I will have an opportunity to take this on this weekend.  As far as I know it, you are limited to using the demo directory for this example.  Once paid for it allows you all the other functionality.  I will buy a copy this weekend I think to play around and get it working fully.  As its been explained to me, using the shared directory should not be a problem, even on a drive other than C:, since it is considered local.  I am unsure of UNC paths at this time.  I find this to be the ideal solution for my needs and will only require a "facelift" graphically.  I have setup the other photo gallery handler from the other thread and although it works, it does not nearly have the functionality and completeness this solution offers.  For that, I do not mind the $50 cost.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 1:40 PM
  •  

I have updated the installation of this software further this afternoon!  I am experiencing issues forwarding my domain at the moment, so please use https://sinkevich.livenode.com for the time being.  The U/P is still :

U: Tester

P: Tester11!

You can see I have gone ahead and purchased the software and have extensively changed everything.  I have removed any traces of the demo and have it working properly off the Photos share directory.  In the "re-branding" of this tool on my Home Server, I realized there is no automatic detection of folders, or automatic thumbnailing of a representative photo for the folder... it is all manually hand coded into an HTML file.  The thumbing and construction of the photo pages themselves however is with the click of a button (which can be disabled).  What I also noticed is poor documentation on all the features of the .dll component used in the ASPX pages, so I will begin working on finding all that out.

Another note is the fact that I would like to have the album pages themselves work dynamically as they are astatic at the moment.

Comments?  Questions?  Suggestions?

Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:32 PM
  • Virtuapete,

You lost me on some of the tech , but that's ok. I tried to log in using either of your links, but they are down. Once I see what you are doing it will make more sense.

Depending on the degree of difficulty to set up and based on what I saw on your server for the first example, it looks cool and may consider it myself.

I'll keep an eye out for an update on your server availability.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 8:16 PM
  • Ok, it looks pretty good. Had to try to figure out the buttons on each album.

I think I deleted the 005 pic in Needham Las Vegas Wedding Opps. I did so when I added a comment to the pic. The icons are not intuitive, so I clicked on the X and it deleted it. +
    Also, I crashed the other albums just tinkering. It seemed to have happened when I tried to upload a pic to the album. Hey, just testin' it out....Sorry.

Looks good so far...
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 11:32 PM
  • no worries.. that's what it is there for Smile

I have been experiencing issues with my WHS box becoming non-responsive after a set period of time.  I am not sure if this is due to a bug/known issue in WHS or the fact that I might have some power saving features accidentally enabled via the BIOS or something.  I am going to sort it out tonight and then this will be up permanately so I can continue to refine the model for the photo gallery.

The icons I think just need to get some labeling and spacing so issues like what you necountered don't become commonplace.  I also need to implement the ability to not make certain functions available if you are not admin.... (which reminds me I hope they assign users in WHS with permissions of some sort so abilities to use certain things are disabled... like RDS for typical WHS remote user)

Stand by....

Thursday, June 7, 2007 9:10 PM
  • Cool, but I should have figured the "X" would be delete... LOL>

Sounds good. Looks good.

We're standing by....
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 2:26 AM
  • Did you disable the User and Password? They are now rejected. Would really like to see how this thing works.

Rich

Saturday, June 16, 2007 3:03 AM
  • This is a great add in for WHS and it links to a photo Album utility that works a treat.

http://www.andrewgrant.org/whiist/

Monday, June 18, 2007 1:18 PM
  •  Wasko wrote:

Hello everybody,

my question: would it be able for anybody of you to create an add-in for showing the jpeg files (stored in special folders) as a photo-album. Means you'd see a preview of the pictures, could add comments, click the photos etc. ...

I am working on a web based photo gallery addin.

I'm using the Desktop Search index to view by tags, date taken etc. I'm kind of basing it on Windows Photo Gallery.

It's still in it's very early stages but I should have a early release ready in a few weeks. I'll post it on here as soon as I can. Since I can't enter the Code2Fame comp, I will be releasing it before that competition closes, but without source code.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:29 PM
  • Urge55 ?

Did you released a web based photo gallery addin in the end ?

I'm looking for a solution to publish in a web album some of the photo I have on my windows home server photo folder.
    These photos were tagged with windows live photo gallery (especially "people" tag) and I would like to allow keyword search on this "people" tags (eg. find all photo with "Paul Smith").

Thanks for your answer

Olivier

Monday, August 31, 2009 12:22 PM