Look up field "Look for" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My requirement is to have a Look Up field that searches from Leads, Accounts, Contacts, Opportunities. Basically the "Look for" drop-down should provide a list of these entities to choose from.

How can I accomplish that?

Thanks

Sharjeel B.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    you can't create a lookup to display the existing entities inside your CRM (standard and/or custom). In alternative you can create an optionset and add the values, or create a new entity (called for example entitylist) and add a record for each entity you want to display.

My blog: www.crmanswers.net

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:04 PM
  • Hi,

You can't one lookup field for multiple entities like the system lookup for Acc and Contact.

Need to create separate lookups (relationships) for each of the entities Leads, Accounts, Contacts, Opportunities

Regards,

Rameshwari

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    you can't create a lookup to display the existing entities inside your CRM (standard and/or custom). In alternative you can create an optionset and add the values, or create a new entity (called for example entitylist) and add a record for each entity you want to display.

My blog: www.crmanswers.net

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:04 PM
  • Hi,

You can't one lookup field for multiple entities like the system lookup for Acc and Contact.

Need to create separate lookups (relationships) for each of the entities Leads, Accounts, Contacts, Opportunities

Regards,

Rameshwari

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:12 PM
  • @Guido: If I create a new entity, what do you mean by "add a record for each entity"? I basically want to create a field called "Opportunity Source". This could be anyone ranging from a Lead to Contact (Lead, Account, Opportunity, Contact).

@Rameshwari: I wouldn't mind doing that but that would mean four different fields on the form, which wouldn't look very pleasing to the naked eye.

Sharjeel B.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:03 PM
  • Here is how you can do it

http://simplicitypoint.wordpress.com/2013/08/03/creating-a-multi-entity-lookup-in-crm-2011/

http://mscrmgoodies.blogspot.com/2012/02/custom-lookup-in-crm-2011.html

If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:06 PM
  • Unfortunately, Guido and RameshwariSah are both correct. The feature you are looking for is a polymorphic relationship, and that is reserved for just a few system fields such as the Regarding field on activity records. You can't create a custom polymorphic relationship. You can either use the Connections feature, have four lookups, or (as Guido suggested) create a new Opportunity Source entity and create an opportunity source record for every lead, account, opportunity and contact in your system.

In my experience looking at user adoption issues, users don't care as much about the specificity of the opportunity source as you would like them to and your feature will not get used much and the data will not be very reliable.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Slalom Consulting. Find me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

• Proposed as answer by RameshwariSah Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:21 PM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:08 PM