Invalid Product Key -- But it's not...? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I know you guys like users to run mgadiag.exe, but my machine is in the middle of an install and I am unable to run any programs off of cd-rom. Even if i could it isn't on a network so i can't get the output posted here.

I will try my best to describe my situation. First... My copy of XP Pro... I got it from a friend of mine a long time ago when I was running 98. I needed XP for school or something so before buying it... i asked. I really didnt expect anyone to have a copy laying around that they werent using, but he did. He told me that he got it for free at some Microsoft convention, and he ran MS 2000 server edition... or something like that.

It didnt come in a box, it was just a cd jewel case. The case has a one page insert. The front page is solid blue. All the test is in white except for the "XP" which is in orangish/yellow. The front reads "Not for Resale" in the upper left corner. "Microsoft" with a (R) besides the "t" in Microsoft in-line to where the line crosses the "t", in the upper right corner. And it has:

Microsoft (R) in-line to where the line crosses the "t"

Windows(R)^xp the "(R)" is at the top right side of the "s" in Windows

Professional

With the four window symbol to the right of the microsoft text. There is also "TM" located at the bottom right corner of the bottom right window symbol.

The interior side of the jewel case insert lists the System Requirements. Near the bottom it states: The product uses Technological measures for copy-protection - you will not be able to use this product if you do not fully comply with the product activation procedures. etc etc etc.

The CD itself is a copper holographic color. Top left reads: "For distribution with a new PC only. The Certificate of Authenticity label should be attached to your PC. For product support, contact the manufacturer of your PC. Upper right has the four windows symbol surrounded by a square with rounded edges.

Center top left reads: "Do Not Make Illegal

Copies of This Disc"

Center right reads: Version 2002

(C) 1985-2001 Microsoft

Corporation. All rights reserved.

Microsoft products are

licensed to OEMs by Microsoft

Licensing Inc., a wholly owned

subsidary of Microsoft

Corporation.

0601 Part No. X08-33951

Bottom center reads: Microsoft

Windows^xp

Professional

Below that there is a holographic rectangle with rounded corners the perimeter of the rectangle reads "MICROSOFT" all the way around it. Inside that rectangle there is another rectangle that reads either "GENIUNE" or " Microsoft" depending on the angle of the hologram. The inner rectangle is surrounded by some sort of sunburst/star/saw blade symbol that continues to the outter rectangle.

No COA... just the product key on a yellow/orangish sticker on back that reads:

picture of a key PRODUCT KEY:

H***P-***FV-P*Y*3-3PJHV-88XYJ (I can email you the whole key... just didnt want to post it on public)

It has another sticker that is white with black text that reads: CD SET: X08-26122

The insert in the back is solid white with black lettering. I can go into detail if requested... or I can take pictures of any part you'd like to see.

Now... way back then, I installed XP no problems... the key worked. I installed programs and downloaded updates, even downloaded updates that needed to verify my copy of windows xp... NO PROBLEMS...

I remember upgrading something and XP asking me to re-validate Windows XP. My product key didn't work there, but it gave me a phone number to call. I called it and the guy asked me some questions and gave me a replacement key.

By the way... that machine was one that I built myself. Time goes on, and i decide i want to add more memory. Like a fool I buy some off of eBay, install it, and poof... smoke rolls out... the odor comes near me... i smell the distinctive burned electrical components smell... you know the one.

That happened towards the end of the semester... I had to have a computer at home to access class assignments, notes, tests, etc. Well I didnt HAVE to have one, but its either own one, or use the school lab for every test and assignment.

So... I went to Office Depot and bought a HP machine. It came with and still has XP Media Center.

My mom wanted her own PC coupled with the fact that (no offense) XP Media Center sucks... prompted me to build a new machine for myself and give my mom my old one. Media Center is slow as dirt... not to mention I could never get it to record TV shows like I could with my older dead PC. I bought 3 different graphics cards and 2 different add-in tv tuners... all were supposedly compatible with MCE, but none ever worked right. MCE always asked for some tuner box or something when all I wanted to do was record the signal. I just split the signal coming out of my dish network box. One went to my tv the other went to my tuner card. I think i actually got it to where i could see the picture, but never record it.

Whoops sorry for getting off track.

So anyway... After I built my new machine... I try to install XP Pro. The destination drive is virgin, and the install formatted the drive. On past the keyboard layout to the: Enter your product key screen...

I enter my product key... and it tells me that it is invalid. My question is this... how would my GENUINE key all the sudden come up invalid if my new machine has a virgin drive and it was never connected to a network???

Thanks for your time,

jack rollins

Thursday, January 17, 2008 12:40 PM

Answers

• You stated:

"The CD itself is a copper holographic color. Top left reads: "For distribution with a new PC only. The Certificate of Authenticity label should be attached to your PC. For product support, contact the manufacturer of your PC."

This indicates you have an OEM version of Windows XP.  OEM licenses cannot be transferred or reused on a different computer.  The OEM license is permanently tied to the very first computer it was installed and activated on.

Also, your friend did not get this OEM copy of Windows XP from Microsoft since Microsoft does not distribute OEM versions of Windows to individuals.  If Microsoft ever gives away free software at launch events or conventions, it is always "retail versions".

To sum up, your OEM Windows XP license will only be valid if it is installed on the very first computer it was originally installed on.  You'll need to purchase a new Windows license for your new PC.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 3:20 PM
  • Tata455,

Replacing a bad motherboard with the computer manufacturer's specified repair part will NOT require the purchase of a new Windows license.

If you are upgrading the motherboard to add new features, or to support more sophisticated processors or memory, then for the purposes of licensing a new computer is made so therefore the old OEM license is no longer valid and a new Windows license will be required.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, March 30, 2009 5:14 PM
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 3:57 AM

All replies

• Bigmadpie,

Are you entering the original PK from the yellow-orange sticker or the one that was given to you by the support person on the phone?

Navigate to the \i386 folder on the CD and look for a file named setupp.ini.  This is a small text file with two sections.  Post the two lines that make up the second section.

• You stated:

"The CD itself is a copper holographic color. Top left reads: "For distribution with a new PC only. The Certificate of Authenticity label should be attached to your PC. For product support, contact the manufacturer of your PC."

This indicates you have an OEM version of Windows XP.  OEM licenses cannot be transferred or reused on a different computer.  The OEM license is permanently tied to the very first computer it was installed and activated on.

Also, your friend did not get this OEM copy of Windows XP from Microsoft since Microsoft does not distribute OEM versions of Windows to individuals.  If Microsoft ever gives away free software at launch events or conventions, it is always "retail versions".

To sum up, your OEM Windows XP license will only be valid if it is installed on the very first computer it was originally installed on.  You'll need to purchase a new Windows license for your new PC.

• As I read this, I questioned a few things.  What do you do if you have a HD or Mother Board failure?  You should not have to buy a new OS if you are simply repairing you computer. 

Or what if you are upgrading components in the system?  This should not require a new OS purchase.

I am doing this right now.  My system failed and I can not get it back up and running.  I don't want to risk loosing my data so I am installing a New HD and going to load the OS fresh on the new drive.  I will then access the old drive to get my data and afterwards reformat it.  Will I have problems with this?

Every copy I have is a legit upgrade or OEM that came with the system. 

Can you expand on this?

Thanks
    Friday, March 27, 2009 7:14 AM
  • Windows keeps track of several hardware components, and will only trigger a re-activation if too much changes within a certain time period. Adding or changing a hard drive should not cause a problem; changing a motherboard probably would. With an OEM version of Windows you should AFAIK be able to re-activate by phone after replacing the motherboard with the same or(?) a comparable model; if you upgrade the motherboard (especially if you also upgrade the CPU) that may be a problem (ie it may be classified as a new computer).

See Windows Product Activation (WPA) on Windows XP for details (first Google result).
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 10:15 AM
  • Tata455,

Replacing a bad motherboard with the computer manufacturer's specified repair part will NOT require the purchase of a new Windows license.

If you are upgrading the motherboard to add new features, or to support more sophisticated processors or memory, then for the purposes of licensing a new computer is made so therefore the old OEM license is no longer valid and a new Windows license will be required.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, March 30, 2009 5:14 PM
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 3:57 AM