Live Onecare wont startup..just get blank Live Onecare screen RRS feed

• Question

•  

The other day I noticed my Live Onecare Icon wasnt on the taskbar anymore..I went to my programs and started it...I got the starting scroll screen,then it opens to the screen that would usually have my information on it..but the screen is blank..

in the services.msc it shows Live onecare is started and automatic,it shows the One care antispyware and antivirius is started and automatic. one care firewall wasnt started and i got 1058 error  wont start error when i started it...

I ran  the antimalware repair

I ran the onecare firewall repair..sometimes when i do it it comes up successful,and to reboot..1/2 the times I get the 1603 error.

lastnight while doing this and searching this forum..all of a sudden i got the Live onecare tuneup symbol running and a Red Live onecare icon. when I open the red icon I had the Live Onecare page up with all the info, but I couldnt do anything with it....dont know what i did to cause that...so i let the tune-up run,and it got to the last task, looking for updates...i went to bed...this morning back to where i started...It closed up the Icon,and it wont start up...Live onecare firewall was stopped,and wouldnt start...until i did the Firewallrepair.....oops...now red icon just came on again....I click on it...all the info is on the main screen ....but wont open anything up..says program not responding..now it is showing stopping Live one care on the services.msc......now when i open program says "Live Onecare is not working or has stopped"

any ideas!!

( running XP..and I have had Live Onecare for about 8 months,with no problems...)

Saturday, February 9, 2008 7:16 PM

Answers

• well...finally figured it out...

sent in a case order..but when trying to respond to the email address from microsoft support,i kept getting a bad email address,so i spent a week trying to get a response from support with no luck..I had 2 email addresses,both failed or never heard back..

so then i went to the next step which was the chat support...found that the problem is with the TermService. It would fail to start..when i try to start the service i would get " error 2-the system cannot find the file specified.

well with the chat support, we tried acouple things with no luck..so then i just did google of TermService...finally after a couple searches i found that the path was incorrect...

so to check it  : click Start> Run > type regedit then hit OK

under the registry editor (which I just opened) go to this directory

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

go down the list to "TermServices" and click on it

on the right panel double click "ImagePath"   check the path that is listed..

mine was " %SystemRoot%\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs"

i changed it to a default value I found:

"C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost -k DComLaunch"

I rebooted my PC and the windows Live Onecare came up...so it is now working...dont know what happened, and dont even know if what i put in is the right path..but its working!

Sunday, February 17, 2008 4:27 AM

All replies

• well,turned off the computer for awhile..now i have the red Live Onecare icon in taskbar, when opening the application, everything shows up,but i cant do anything...system shows its not responding..i close it and still have red icon...

so i now have the icon,but cant use the application...now what?!

Sunday, February 10, 2008 3:07 AM
  • Since you've tried the tools with limited success, but still have problems, I think a reinstall is probably the way to go. 

Uninstall OneCare - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=663806&SiteID=2

Download and run the cleanup tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

And then install OneCare from http://onecare.live.com and activate with the same LiveID used to originally subscribe.

If this still doesn't resolve it, please contact support for help - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Sunday, February 10, 2008 3:46 AM
  • Thanks for the response Steve..

I tried that procedure twice....I now have a "green" Live Onecare icon, but still when i open it..i get the page with the information,but cant do anything..just times out..."not responding"..

im going to contact support...

Sunday, February 10, 2008 4:46 AM
  • Do let us know what happens.

-steve

Monday, February 11, 2008 1:27 AM
  • I will Steve...i have a case order in with support....waiting on response.

Monday, February 11, 2008 2:32 AM
  • well...finally figured it out...

sent in a case order..but when trying to respond to the email address from microsoft support,i kept getting a bad email address,so i spent a week trying to get a response from support with no luck..I had 2 email addresses,both failed or never heard back..

so then i went to the next step which was the chat support...found that the problem is with the TermService. It would fail to start..when i try to start the service i would get " error 2-the system cannot find the file specified.

well with the chat support, we tried acouple things with no luck..so then i just did google of TermService...finally after a couple searches i found that the path was incorrect...

so to check it  : click Start> Run > type regedit then hit OK

under the registry editor (which I just opened) go to this directory

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

go down the list to "TermServices" and click on it

on the right panel double click "ImagePath"   check the path that is listed..

mine was " %SystemRoot%\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs"

i changed it to a default value I found:

"C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost -k DComLaunch"

I rebooted my PC and the windows Live Onecare came up...so it is now working...dont know what happened, and dont even know if what i put in is the right path..but its working!

Sunday, February 17, 2008 4:27 AM
  • I'm glad that you got the problem resolved, and thanks for posting the details.

-steve

Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:32 PM
  • Steve

You have not heard from me recently.

That is because I uninstalled onecare on my main desktop.  (Sony). Norton 360 is doing a perfect job...with no problems..if there is a problem...it is automatically reported to support.   And support comes right back  with the solution...or even makes the correction online. ( It is connected by ethernet to my wireless router.)

My Toshiba laptop is connecte to my wireless network.   

My Compaq is connected by ethernet cable.

I started having the problem listed here...about a week ago...when my Compaq       received an update Onecare...with the expirations date...and the three computer onecare circle. 

The onecare circle should be not in conflict with my wireless net...and Network Magic.  they were working very well.

these problems....blank onecare screen....not able to do any of the services when I do get the onecare screen.

I have done all lthe things I have learned in the last  3 ? years...to keep onecare running.   net start winss...etc.  go to services and check the services and properties... set them automatic... and onecare does not start...cannot continue.

After using the sites you list....I have done all of that....  cannot start.    finally did some more of the workarounds..and did get it up and running to "subscribe"...and used my information to do that.

My subscription ends in May.     I am seriously considering using 360 on the compaq  and toshiba.  

While Mr. Gates is enjoying being the richest man in America....in the many billions....and playing chess.

All I want from Microsoft is just  "chess" to get my microsoft software to work without all of the problems.

Some people throw away old shoes.     My computer equipment..purchased through the years is too expensive to throw away.     Yes....I would like to be able to afford the very best computer, software, scanners..etc....

We bought them because of the many years of Microsoft software we bought to use them.   Microsoft should at least have in Vista....a small operating system...for XP.   To enable us to use the old reliable products.

Dual boot may be the answer.   I tried that once...and had too many problems.    I have purchased two 500gb internal drives for my sony...which was excellent before Vista.   I have three external drives...one 500gb and two 200gb.

(for storage and backup)

I found a website offering the abiliity to boot a second OS from an external drive....miiight get it.

More:   We need to know why which programs are running in the background that we might be able to pause or end.

Task Manager shows some of that....not all.   

We need a bare bones CD for startup.... programs are very slow to respond...or cancel...several screens just stay there or appear...and the compute runs....for many minutes...usually 5  to 15 minutes to respond.

Sometimes I just go to bed....cannot spend hours just waiting.   When I boot  safe mode to check for problems...the computer runs as it did when new....instant response.

Why does Microsoft now provide a plug-in or a patch....to show us only the programs we must be running to work.

Startup msconfig.... does not show all the background prosesses running.   we need to know and be able to stop those taking up memory and cpu.

Often the ones showing in taskmanager as running...using cpu...etc...We have no idea why that is running and why it cannot be paused and or stopped. and highlighting the ones we can stop with a click.

I found a website   program that brings to life my four old printers...my three old scanners...fully functional.....and Vista does not provide that.    For 39 dollar I can use about 3,000.00 dolllars of equipment not supported by vista.

That does not include the several thousand dollars of software....that is not compatible.   THAT IS ONE REASON I KEEP OR TRY TO KEEP THE OLD COMPAQ RUNNING WITH XP.

This is straying from the forum subject....but....can you or MS not understand why Vista is a slow sale...and many have abandoned Vista...and gone back to XP...or another OS?

Support has come up with some ways to fix some problems.   Too bad the programmers did not do that with Vista.

Hasta La Vista....    (n o t    r e s p o n d i n g.......cannot start.....very ssslllloooowww. )  We have to resort to other vendors to make our computers running Micrsoft software....work.

There are many tips on how to correct a slow computer....(which when new ran very fast).   Why no Microsoft software to give us the options to use those tips....using software..?.   We do not have all the months to study and learn that which could be provided by programmers.   If you are aware of any software to correct or work with the above...giving the user the advice to use or not use....run or not run...  and a click of the mouse to make a "tip" work....

Answers that Work software does do some of that.  TUT.    WHEN WE BUY A HONDA CAR....WE DO NOT EXPECT TO HAVE TO GO TO OTHER DEALERS OR VENDORS .....TO SIMPLY MAKE IT RUN.

We shoud have some start up options....to run only the programs we select for that session.   Why cannot msconfig be part of   optional startup.... rather than only the one we choose.   We could sign on a ghost users to load only what we need for a certain session....  such as...check email.... run word....excel.....internet.... using only the bare bones to operate...   Is there software available to do that?

(I RECEIVED ONLINE...FROM MS...."you have been chosen to have siverlight beta".  with a download.   AFTER THE DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL....THE MESSAGE....YOUR MACHINE IS NOT CAPABLE TO USE SILVERLIGHT.....or something as that.   Why was the machine not checked before making such a gracious offer?) 

My XP continues to....click..click...run...run...when no task is showing.   If I never turn it off....the next morning....the same running noises....just chirping away.   What is running that I cannot end....pause...   ?

The more I use computers and software.....the more hidden the operatons are.   Why?    And which processes should be clicking and running for 24 hours...or more....when you are not using the computer...?

Monday, February 18, 2008 6:59 PM
  • Is there a software program to do as this user did...?   registry is a place     where you can mess up.   software to lead you through this process...or even do it...showing you the steps it is making...and allowing the user to print or save that for the next time....

Much can be done through run, cmd.... I save that process...and just paste it in the next run....and punch  :enter at the end of each line....

Monday, February 18, 2008 7:07 PM
  • You are not the only one having such problems.   why it takes so many steps to correct it....when the software cannot do that....is a puzzle to me.    When you make those steps...save the screens before and after....or print them....and they come in very handy the next time.   believe me....there will be a next time.    They are making automobile that can automatically park...by the sidewalk..... some bright programmers should be able to to this....   I still am amazed that Microsoft does not have a site.. system.online..to analyze and repair..saving the steps...and the screens...for future use..

bu the user.    Someone with the talent to do that could be the next Bill Gates.     (Why do I think that is already in existence...and not known about.)   and why not?     some site...if not MS support to do that.    Chat and support can do that....now... remote repair should be as available.....24 hours a day.   at least as long as the fixes and bugs are being worked out.  then when all is runnng well....charge for that service....   If man can think it he can do it.   I can do that with many other things...  I should have been working on programming alll these 28 years...rather than just reporting the bugs.  We do not get paid for that.   .

Once a fix is found and programmed...it could run as needed from that website....without a human going through it for you.    Save your fixes.... and keep them as utiliities... You might be able to  sell them.

Monday, February 18, 2008 7:20 PM