Cloning my C Drive onto a SSD drive - Windows 7 Validation issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created an image of my new laptop's C Drive (an ASUS G73JW), and have copied it onto an SSD drive.  The OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit  (the OEM version that came pre-installed on the laptop).  When I try to boot the machine using the SSD, it will not boot.  After I enter the password for my admin user account, it stops on a blank screen that simply says in small letters in the bottom right-hand corner, "Windows 7 - Build 7601 - This copy of Windows is not genuine".

If I buy a brand new Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade package, will I be able able to use that software's product key, to let me continue to use my SSD, without having to do a complete install from scratch ?   I'm trying to avoid the headaches of having to install all of the various drivers that would be needed and the other software that came pre-loaded on the machine.  Would MS be able to tell me how to get past the current non-boot situation, so Windows can be validated ?

Any suggestions would be very welcome.  Thanks !

Saturday, March 26, 2011 1:29 PM

Answers

• First of all you need to read up on SSDs.  It often does not work to image an HDD to an SSD.  The drive geometry is very different.  HDDs have sectors and tracks and the hard drive controller takes into account a spinning platter.  An SSD has none of that.  That is why performance is poor after imaging from an HDD to an SDD.

You need to install Windows from scratch, including creating a new partition so that the SSDs partition table is written by the SSDs controller.  Your Asus copy of Windows was preinstalled at the factory from an image and is not a standard Windows disk.  It does not offer you the option to prepare the hard drive.  The Asus recovery software also images an HDD image to the drive.  Contact Asus for instructions and assistance in coverting to an SSD.

I recommend that you purchase a full license copy of Windows 7 Home Premium and do a clean installation.  It is no big deal to download the Windows 7 x64 drivers from the Asus website and store them on a flash drive for installation after the new OS is installed.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 1:58 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• First of all you need to read up on SSDs.  It often does not work to image an HDD to an SSD.  The drive geometry is very different.  HDDs have sectors and tracks and the hard drive controller takes into account a spinning platter.  An SSD has none of that.  That is why performance is poor after imaging from an HDD to an SDD.

You need to install Windows from scratch, including creating a new partition so that the SSDs partition table is written by the SSDs controller.  Your Asus copy of Windows was preinstalled at the factory from an image and is not a standard Windows disk.  It does not offer you the option to prepare the hard drive.  The Asus recovery software also images an HDD image to the drive.  Contact Asus for instructions and assistance in coverting to an SSD.

I recommend that you purchase a full license copy of Windows 7 Home Premium and do a clean installation.  It is no big deal to download the Windows 7 x64 drivers from the Asus website and store them on a flash drive for installation after the new OS is installed.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 1:58 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Colin.  I'll do that.
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 2:04 PM