Invisible Menus RRS feed

• General discussion

• One problem I am seeing with the current beta is that the File (etc) menus keep turning invisible on me.

I am on Windows XP SP3 running on a Dell Latitude E6400 with an Nvidia Quadro NVS 160 graphics chipset (driver version: 6.14.11.7607 from the Dell web site). I am running at 1440*900 native resolution. Here is a screenshot to show what's happening.
    Friday, September 26, 2008 1:27 PM

All replies

• If you maximize your Writer window do you find that instead of going invisible, the menu text shows up but possibly painted in not exactly the right place? If so, we are aware of the problem but don't yet have a fix.

Thanks...
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 11:24 PM
  • That sounds about right... If I point at where the menus should be, they redraw right away until focus is placed elsewhere (for example, if I start typing my entry again).
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 5:46 PM
  • As of the release candidate, this issue still exists, and it's existed since the very early betas of 1.0.

Come on guys, I love Live Writer, and I use it daily, but this is such a ridiculous bug! Why can't Live Writer use the same menu code the rest of the suite has (and they don't have the same issue) ?

I have a hard time believing I'm the only one that has this issue with all the systems using Nvidia graphics cards.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 3:52 AM
  • Hey, I'm really sorry, I spent a couple of days trying to fix this bug but couldn't find a fix that we were willing to take this late in the release cycle. Our main menu drawing code is really surprisingly complicated because previous versions of WLW drew a gradient in the background, which is not easy to do from .NET and even harder when you throw in bidi support. I was hopeful that the 2009-style solid menu background would free us from this code but when I tried to extricate it I ended up having to touch too much existing code, and it still didn't work right in bidi.

FWIW, we can't use the same menu code (or any other code, for that matter) as the rest of the suite as we are the only .NET client app, and we're also the only ones who show the menu by default.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 5:21 AM
  • Thanks for the informative feedback, Joe. :)

It's just annoying more than problematic, I'll admit.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 1:00 PM