HP MSS - Chkdisk Utility RRS feed

• Question

•  

OK,

So the other day I had a warning that the primary disk on my HP MSS was failing, so I called up HP and they said there was nothing they could do as they had not replacement parts etc... I ran they disk repair utility and the drive came back as good. I was then told I could run the chkdisk utility in the Windows server itself by logging into the remote desktop consol. Chkdisk will not run on a locked drive so it does it on a reboot.... which happened this morning...

On an HP MSS with 3.5TB any idea how long this will take?

Also no HD lights are visible on the outside of the server since the reboot, I am going to assume that chkdisk is running before loading the windows GUI itself so the HD lights will not be on. <-- Can someone correct me if I am wrong and let me know if I should be panicking.

Thanks in advance

Monday, December 31, 2007 12:12 PM

All replies

• I believe the drive LEDs are controlled by a service that HP wrote, so no, they won't be on until the system finishes booting. The three LEDs at the bottom of the faceplate are controlled by the BIOS initially, then later on that same service takes over.
    Monday, December 31, 2007 12:17 PM