Primary Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• My question is this: what happens if the primary (OS) hard drive fails in the home server and my server has 4 hard disks. After replacing hard disk and restoring (OS) will I be able to see data on the other hard drives or will it all be gone? Is there a way to backup primary (OS) hard drive? I have one of the HP EX470 boxes.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 2:25 PM

Answers

• In short,

Yes and No!

If your system drive fails, your HP documentation should detail how to do a Server Re-Installation. This will re-install the system and rebuild all the pointers etc to your existing data and backups. (This can take quite some time). At the end of this, you will need to re-add your Clients and any Add-Ins, customisations etc. This will leave you with the server exactly as it was previously.

No, there is no way to back up the primary hard drive. Any backup or copy that you take would be out of date the very next time the server performed any task and consequently if you then tried to use that backup/clone, it would generate numerous errors, as there would be files either orphaned or unknown about.

Colin

Saturday, August 9, 2008 3:35 PM