Backup fails after 15% - "Index was outside the bounds of the array" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi WHS community,
    I am having backup problems. The backup keeps failing after 15% or so. This is very odd ... considering they have been working fine for almost 1 year now. Then all of a sudden it's not working. No changes to my hardware have been performed in that time. The only thing that may have changed is the software updates from Microsoft.

Can anyone help? Kind regards.
    Here are screenshots:

whs backup fail2 whs backup fail1
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 12:14 PM

All replies

• Try running the command

chkdsk /r

on each drive in that computer.

Also, have you isntalled anything on it recently?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 12:22 PM
  • Run chkdsk on which computer? The Server? or my Vista-business machine?

I haven't installed anything except for all the Windows updates that you're forced to install on the WHS.
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 12:28 PM
  • Run chkdsk on which computer? The Server? or my Vista-business machine?

I haven't installed anything except for all the Windows updates that you're forced to install on the WHS.

He means the client (your Vista PC).  Did you install anything on that computer recently?
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 2:07 PM
  • Only thing I installed we're Windows updates since the last time I backed up ... which was about 20 days ago.
    Some small stuff, like Yahoo messenger probably too ...
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 2:37 PM
  • Have you recently installed SP2?  If so, have you tried reinstalling the connector software?
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 3:28 PM
  • Yes I do recall installing a large update in the meantime between my last backup and the one I tried today ... one of the Service packs most recently for Vista ... was is SP2 or SP3 ... i can't remember.
    Will this mean I have to reinstall the connector software again? I shouldn't have to should I???
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 3:30 PM
  • Yes I do recall installing a large update in the meantime between my last backup and the one I tried today ... one of the Service packs most recently for Vista ... was is SP2 or SP3 ... i can't remember.
    Will this mean I have to reinstall the connector software again? I shouldn't have to should I???

Please start by running chkdsk /r on the client PC as Ken instructed. There may hardware or file system errors on the disk. 

Reinstalling the connector as kegobeer suggested is not required after an upgrade of SP2 but may resolve the issue as it will take you through the backup configuration again.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 4:35 PM
  • So  I've run chkdsk on all my disks ... and then I did a backup ... but I still get the same problems.

Anyone have any other ideas.
    It seems like it's something with the index ... since the problem/error shows up as "index outside the bounds of the array" as aforementioned.

Would it have something to do with the modem or network? I recently replaced the modem/router ...

Monday, July 6, 2009 6:20 AM
  • As I had the same issue long time ago, I had to delete and recreate the volume on the client, if I remember right.
    (Although that was simple, because it wasn't drive C:.)
    Or I deleted the backup database and started over with client backups - one of these both was it.
    Can you find more detailed error messages in the clients event log?
    Would a backup run through, if you exclude the C: drive from backup?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, July 6, 2009 9:08 AM
  • Hi all,

I'm back.
    I still have the same problems. This time it's getting stuck at 29% of backup.

I have tried going to "backup settings" to change the backup settings to see if it can skip the drive that it won't back up on but I get this:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t314/ripleyx/whs-pcunresponsive.jpg

Still need help.
    This is frustrating.
    • Edited by mlee2009 Saturday, July 25, 2009 8:45 AM
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 8:43 AM