Firewall shuts down right away and cant turn back on....Plz offer any help RRS feed

• Question

•  

When computer is turned on, firewall and shuts down and says onecare stopped working. when i go into onecare it hangs and does not allow me to turn on. I had this problem on full version and thought it was my computer. So i wanted to switch to vista 64 anyways so i did full wipe and install....still same problem. So its not my computer or windows, what could it be.....Plz offer any help.
    Saturday, October 20, 2007 5:42 PM

Answers

• OK, here is the problem....Nvidia Forceware Network Access Manager.....I was downloading my driver updates and it asks u if u want to add this program, well i said yes. And this is where all my problems started....all u have to do is uninstall this program and u get control of your computer again and onecare works fine after...took me a month to figure this out...grrrrrr. I have posted this problem on nvidias site as well. Dev's, u might want to look into the conflict from your side as well.

Friday, October 26, 2007 6:58 PM

All replies

• I would contact support - 

Support for 2.0 Beta - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 - use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

Support for v1.6 is via the information here - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1183038&SiteID=2

-steve

Sunday, October 21, 2007 6:59 PM
  •  

ok....i tried to contact them and they called me 2 days later and late at night, for easter time zona at least. plus the guy (of cousre i could tell he was caling from India) english was not that great and he lost me (and i work w/ computers everyday...) . So, unless u guys can send me directions on how to fix this, becouse i know it has to be a bug w/ system, then I will have to just remove it and wait til someone comes up with a patch. This is else microsoft vista or onecares bug. Alot of peeps are exp the same thing.....
    Sunday, October 21, 2007 7:34 PM
  • You could submit an email case or use the chat option if you are a subscriber.

In any event, see this KB article - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910659 - to troubleshoot the firewall service. What bothers me is that it happened on your PC before a complete format and new OS installation, so it is either hardware related (doubtful) or a conflict with another program you are using and were using before the system was rebuilt.

-steve

Sunday, October 21, 2007 8:29 PM
  • Having same problem and went through all trouble-shooting and even re-installed software but ca't turn firewall on.

Friday, October 26, 2007 1:24 PM
  •  kajrob78@hotmail.com wrote:

Having same problem and went through all trouble-shooting and even re-installed software but ca't turn firewall on.

If the KB article didn't resolve it, contact support per the post above.

-steve

Friday, October 26, 2007 2:04 PM
  • hey, let me know if u find a sollution and what it was...also did u just update nvidia software before this happened, or vista update for video?

Friday, October 26, 2007 6:19 PM
  •  Itenson wrote:

hey, let me know if u find a sollution and what it was...also did u just update nvidia software before this happened, or vista update for video?

Somewhere else in the forum, I read about a problem with some nvidia software and the OneCare firewall. Have you tried uninstalling that to see if your problem with the OneCare firewall goes away?

-steve

Friday, October 26, 2007 6:32 PM
  • OK, here is the problem....Nvidia Forceware Network Access Manager.....I was downloading my driver updates and it asks u if u want to add this program, well i said yes. And this is where all my problems started....all u have to do is uninstall this program and u get control of your computer again and onecare works fine after...took me a month to figure this out...grrrrrr. I have posted this problem on nvidias site as well. Dev's, u might want to look into the conflict from your side as well.

Friday, October 26, 2007 6:58 PM
  • P.S. I should get a few gold stars for finding this problem out.....lol.

Friday, October 26, 2007 7:02 PM
  •  Itenson wrote:
    OK, here is the problem....Nvidia Forceware Network Access Manager.....I was downloading my driver updates and it asks u if u want to add this program, well i said yes. And this is where all my problems started....all u have to do is uninstall this program and u get control of your computer again and onecare works fine after...took me a month to figure this out...grrrrrr. I have posted this problem on nvidias site as well. Dev's, u might want to look into the conflict from your side as well.

Yes, that was the program I read in the other post earlier this week! Thanks for confirming it!

-steve

Saturday, October 27, 2007 1:57 AM
  •  Itenson wrote:
    P.S. I should get a few gold stars for finding this problem out.....lol.

I marked your post as the answer for this thread and also marked you post as helpful, but it didn't give you a gold star yet, so I gave you some on my other reply. :-)

-steve

Saturday, October 27, 2007 1:59 AM
  •  

Thank you...  Hopefully it'll get caught / resolved in a future OneCare update, so it doesn't hard-crash like that anyway.
    Saturday, November 17, 2007 11:37 PM