The Windows Home Server 2011 Connector has encountered an unexpected error! RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am at my wits end!

I have followed several threads with regard to this issue and been frustrated at every turn! Have followed article 3941 trouble shooting client deployment.  No " \" in the password.  Started Windows Media Center manually.  Taken fire walls out of play both on the client and server side.  The deployment on the client continues to back out with every try.  WHS 2001 Connect Install Issue thread points to cleaning out all references to WHS in the registry, running CCleaner, clearing out the waste basket and temp files.  If this is the only pathway forward I will need better instructions about how to remove all references to WHS from the registry.  I'm sorry I'm just a little taken back that this is so difficult! I'm competent but am no registry expert and fear these changes! 

• Changed type Sean Zhu - Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:47 AM
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 7:58 PM

All replies

• Does the issue occur on every client? Have you tried the solution in KB2520547:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2520547

Another thread that you can take a look:

Windows Home server Connector Fails to install on WinXP SP3

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/is/whs2011/thread/54b2364c-5d18-41d9-813a-81b94ddf71a9

You can also download the tool to collect log files , upload it and we can help to check the root cause.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27567

Sean Zhu

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:31 AM
  • I tried most of the things under kb2520547

I looked at:

Windows Home server Connector Fails to install on WinXP SP3

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/is/whs2011/thread/54b2364c-5d18-41d9-813a-81b94ddf71a9

I noticed that the time zone was set to Indiana Eastern rather than Eastern Time (US & Canada).

I will try that fix and see what happens.  

Thanks for the list of things to try

Will report back!

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:48 PM
  • I downloaded the tool to collect log files. I have a file. 

But can not figure out how to up load it???

Can you help?

Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:30 AM
  • I am having the same problem with installing the connect software.  I have tried the recommended items above and it has not solved my problem.

Looking at the logs (c:\\program data\microsoft\windows server\logs\clientcore.msi) the install appears to fail at SetupMcConnector for some unknown reason.

The connect software installation is failing on two of my computers, both running Windows7 Home Premium x64.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:13 PM
  • I downloaded the tool to collect log files. I have a file. 

Can you help?

You can upload it to public folder on skydrive. 
    Monday, June 25, 2012 8:40 AM
  • Go to

which is where you "should" have downloaded the log collector. 

Look at the bottom and you will see the following:

"You can attach files after you've submitted this Feedback item."

So, after you submit your bug, go back and open it and you should see how to edit and attach the log file.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I downloaded the tool to collect log files. I have a file. 

Can you help?

You can upload it to public folder on skydrive. 

BullDawg
    Monday, June 25, 2012 9:09 AM
  • I was able to solve this problem with this fix.  Go to Control Panel, Programs, Turn Windows Features on and off, and turn off "Media Features", "Windows Media Center", update, reboot,  install the connector (which will work this time) and turn the feature back on.  I'm not sure what turning this off and on does to media center, but it works to install WHS connector.
    Monday, June 25, 2012 4:47 PM
  • I was able to solve this problem with this fix.  Go to Control Panel, Programs, Turn Windows Features on and off, and turn off "Media Features", "Windows Media Center", update, reboot,  install the connector (which will work this time) and turn the feature back on.  I'm not sure what turning this off and on does to media center, but it works to install WHS connector.

THANK YOU!!!!!

I've been going nuts trying to get the connector installed on my wife's computer (Win 7 64-bit), and none of the other suggestions worked. (DotNet framework, Scheduler, Services, IPV6, computer rename, etc, etc.)

There is definitely a conflict between Windows Media Center and the WHS 2011 Connector.

How does one submit a bug report to Microsoft?

Thanks again for saving my sanity!

Sunday, August 26, 2012 3:33 AM