Unable to find an exact match in the rules set RRS feed

• Question

• This question may have already been raised here, but I have searched and read the topics on normalization rules and have not found my specific issue. I apologize if this is a repeat, though.

I am running OCS 2007 R2, and I have a mediation server which connects to our CallManager 6 system via a SIP trunk. This is all fairly normal, from what I have read. Our local phone numbers are 7xxxx. I have one Location Profile with 2 Normalization Rule setup in it.

Norm. Rule #1's Phone pattern regular expression is ^(7\d{4})$ and the translation pattern is just $1. This takes the 7xxxx numbers and sends them straight to CallManager. This works great, as I can type my 5-digit number and it dials my phone.

Norm. Rule #2's Phone pattern is ^(\d{10})$ and the Translation patterns is 9$1. I want to type the 10-digit number into Communicator and have it send that number to CallManager to dial out to, say, my cell phone. When I dial my cell phone on my voip phone, I dial 9 plus the 10-digit number. I know the translation pattern is working, because in Communicator it changes the number and adds a 9 to the front of it. It says it can't complete the call, though, and in the event log, I see the following:

404 No matching rule has been found in the dial plan for the called number.
    ms-diagnostics: 14010;reason="Unabled to find an exact match in the rules set"

Can someone help me troubleshoot this? The normalization rule stuff is pretty complicated, and I haven't found a simple explanation of what I need to do.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:18 PM

Answers

• Change your second normalization rule to ^9?(\d{10})$ so that it matches when you send the 9 on the front.
    Mike Stacy | Evangelyze Communications | http://www.evangelyze.net/cs/blogs/mike
    • Marked as answer by paulbrown83 Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:45 PM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:45 PM

All replies

• Change your second normalization rule to ^9?(\d{10})$ so that it matches when you send the 9 on the front.
    Mike Stacy | Evangelyze Communications | http://www.evangelyze.net/cs/blogs/mike
    • Marked as answer by paulbrown83 Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:45 PM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:45 PM
  • Ok, so that worked. Now I am wondering why it worked. Isn't the phone pattern used to take a given number and then translate it using the translation pattern? If that is correct, then why would adding a 9? to the phone pattern make the difference when I am only dialing a 10 digit number with no 9 prefix?
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:47 PM