Server Remote Control Options RRS feed

• Question

• Can I just confirm: the only option to access the WHS server desktop from an external network is using a Remote Desktop Connection and it is not possible from the website?

I've tried extending the Remote Desktop scope in the Windows Firewall but I still can't connect using my external IP address.
    Monday, October 1, 2007 10:54 PM

Answers

• You can access the Console thru the website, but you don't get the full Windows Server desktop.

You have a few options.

1. Forward port 3389 directly to the server

2. Use the Program Launcher add-in which will give you access to the desktop.

3. There is a hack somewhere around here, that you can modify an aspx file that will give you full desktop thru the website.

Monday, October 1, 2007 10:59 PM

All replies

• You can access the Console thru the website, but you don't get the full Windows Server desktop.

You have a few options.

1. Forward port 3389 directly to the server

2. Use the Program Launcher add-in which will give you access to the desktop.

3. There is a hack somewhere around here, that you can modify an aspx file that will give you full desktop thru the website.

Monday, October 1, 2007 10:59 PM
  • My personal recommendation would be to stick with the console unless there's a burning need for access to the desktop on the server. If you have a need, then forwarding port 3389 is your best bet, but be aware that a raw RDP connection is subject to a "man in the middle" attack which could expose your administrator password to a malefactor.

I'll confess to being very curious if you feel you have that burning need. Smile I haven't used Remote Desktop to perform actual operations on my server more than half a dozen times since February. I use it pretty frequently, but just to get under the hood and figure out the answers to questions. I don't even look at the console more than once a week or so...
    Tuesday, October 2, 2007 1:39 AM