Live Mesh triggers memory leak of process explorer.exe in Windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2GB memory installed and the system is Windows 7. The whole system suddenly begins to be very very slow when I was editing a folder's name whose parent folder is synced in Live Mesh. then this file browser stops reacting and i took me for like 15 mins to open task manager. It turns out that this "explorer.exe" has grown to about 1.2GB. the indicator of hard disk keeps flashing so the hard disk works really "hard" at that time - you can hear that sound.

I dont have any files on that level of the folder except for a few other folders. the folder that i was renaming is totally new and empty. Im not sure if it is Live Mesh which leads to the memory leak, but it feels like so. 

in addition, it wasn't the first time that this problem occurs. before, i had Nod32 on. Sometimes when the computer is booted from suspend state, these two software directly restarts my computer and resulting in hard disk failure. (the hard disk can not be read after reboot and the indicator keeps on.) the solution was using a boot dvd-rom to boot the system up and wait until the hard disk works. I scanned the hard disk each time and it is very healthy, no bad sectors, smart is "very good". also i am not sure if it is Live Mesh leads to this but it should has something to do with this.

if you need anymore information please contact with me.

The world is just AWESOME!
    Friday, November 27, 2009 11:29 PM

Answers

• thanks for the advice! em.. i should think about it. maybe it's a good idea to create new folders regardless of the existing ones on my computer. would it be ok if just download from the cloud?

Sure, that's certainly a possibility for you.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Monday, January 11, 2010 2:06 AM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 1:02 PM

All replies

• I don't think that either issue is due to Live Mesh, though anything is possible. I'm more inclined to think that you may be seeing an issue due to the security software - possibly due to a conflict of multiple security programs.
    If you uninstall Live Mesh does the problem go away?
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 12:41 AM
  • Don't think it's due to conflict security software since i didn't have any security software on my system.  I couldn't test anymore because my windows 7 crashed this time after recovery from sleeping state. and NEVER got back. I am trying my best to recovery it but till now it's still not working.

It happened like before, the system halted after boot from sleep so i have to hold down the power button to reboot the machine. but this time it wouldn't start, and giving me no instructions besides a blinking cursor. (previously it said can not read media sort of msg while the led of hd is on, this time it's not on and seemed normal) the system is just halted. so i used windows 7 boot dvd to check if the hd is good. i got a console in the installation screen. i could switch to driver C but can not "dir" it. saying can not read media sort of msg. so i ran a "chkdsk /f c:" and after about 1 hour and about millions of fixes, it finished. after reboot the system still cannot boot. same as before. so i used a xp boot cdrom to restore the mbr to boot xp on D. and used easybcd to restore the bcd from a backup file.

after that, i can no longer boot in windows 7. every time the system boots into a repair interface which looks like installation screen of windows 7. and result in "windows can not fix the boot problem". and i tried all possible entries on F8 menu. they all goes there.

I guess i should use easybcd before chkdsk... think those fixes changed some kernel file so windows can not boot normally. but using easybcd before that could risk losing everything on the driver C since nothing could be read on C in the beginning.

what i would say is that every time the system is booted from SLEEP or HIBERNATE or MIXED SLEEP, Live Mesh seems have a lot work on operating on the hard disk while the system also have a huge amount of ops on the hard disk. this, would lead to some problem! Please stop activating Live Mesh at that time so we will not see any more tragedies.      

I am currently thinking to install a new windows 7 on another hard disk and try to copy the Windows folder over. hopefully the old system could boot again or i will just use the new system. 

or if you have any better idea how i could get the old system back, please, please help me :)  any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)

Sunday, November 29, 2009 6:41 PM
  • However much disk activity Mesh causes on your hard disks after resume, it should never be the cause of such catastrophic problems.  It looks rather like flaky hardware or flaky drivers to me.  (I had some similar symptoms on reboot a while back and it turned out to be the motherboard battery completely stuffed.  Replaced that and everything is perfect again.  But your problem could be anything.)

When you get your system back up and going, and you get the Explorer memory growth with slow performance again, you might submit a bug report.

Trevor

Sunday, November 29, 2009 9:28 PM
  • Yeah that was one point I was thinking. but i couldn't find any possible reason. the hd is only 3 month old and the computer is merely 1 year.  what do you mean the motherboard battery completely stuffed? does it mean the battery was dead?  i would check that later.

it was funny that right before all this, i created a LiveMeshLogs.cab file. do you need to see this file? i am not sure if this file is touched by chkdsk, probably yes.

and i found it is impossible to copy Windows folder from one to another. seems that all the files are protected by ntfs?

Sunday, November 29, 2009 10:55 PM
  • Assuming you can access the files on the disk, the cab file attached to a bug report would be good, but I agree with Trevor that something else is wrong - bad disk, driver, motherboard. I've had drives fail after a few months, so that's not too far off base.
    In order to get to your data on the drive that was part of another OS, you'll need to take ownership of the files and folders using the advanced permissions dialog.
    -steve
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 1:49 PM
  • thanks for the answer. where should i upload the cab file and the bug report anyway? and would it have any private information?

i got the broken windows back running! i renamed the old "un-rewritable" /windows folder, then copied the newly installed windows 7 folder to the old place. all these actions are taken in XP btw. after changed some register entries i got the windows back running. and i could login to the old user account. but i found that A LOT of files are modified by "chkdsk" without changing the "last modified" timestamps and cannot be viewed. so the system is quite fragile right now.

anyway i've decided to use the newly installed windows instead of repairing the old one. and i am gonna try to use Live Mesh again to see if this problem would happen again.  

Tuesday, December 1, 2009 4:25 PM
  • Here's the instructions for a bug report filing:

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Note that you may not receive a response to the bug report, though. It will be transferred to the internal system to be assigned to the appropriate development group.

-steve

Tuesday, December 1, 2009 6:27 PM
  • If a lot of files got marked as modified or updated, Mesh will go crazy trying to sync them back accross.  So I'd hold off installing it until you're possitive the rest of the system is stable and ok first.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 11:54 PM
  • thanks. i'm working on it.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:12 AM
  • thanks for the advice! em.. i should think about it. maybe it's a good idea to create new folders regardless of the existing ones on my computer. would it be ok if just download from the cloud?
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:15 AM

Sure, that's certainly a possibility for you.
    -steve
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Monday, January 11, 2010 2:06 AM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 1:02 PM