Windows 7 x64: can not start WWT RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just downloaded and installed the WWT, however I can not start it. Immediately after the double-click on the icon I got the "WWT stopped working, Windows checking the solution" error message. I have Windows 7 Prof. x64. As far as I know windows 7 comes with DirectX 11, at least DXDiag says that it is there. So during the installation I cancelled the DirectX 9 installation, since I don't want to mess up my Win7. Was that the problem?

Peter

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:12 AM

Answers

• You *MUST* install DirectX 9.0c that is part of the installation. Direct X is a side-by-side versioned system. Each DirectX version is  totaly imcompatible and non-backward inclusive.

In other words, no DirectX update will ever overwrite or replace, or take the place of any that have gone before. This means 3d programers don't have to worry about someone changing the run-time 3d graphics out from under them.

Each version of DirectX installed runs in parallel with all the others on the computer, without interfearing with each other.

The setup spawns to DirectX installer if you don't have a compatible version of DirectX installed. When you cancel the install, and then try to run WorldWide Telescope, since the code we depend on to run is not installed there is *NOTHING* the program can do at that point to warn you of why since Windows does not have the nessesary files to even complete loading our code.

If you just run the dxsetup.exe in the program files directory, or re-install and select repair, you will be running in a few minutes.

Jonathan

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:48 AM