WebGuide intsallation crash - leaves WHS unable to connect to anything. RRS feed

• Question

• I tried installing WebGuide for Windows Home Server following the step-by-step instructions, and at the point where it seemed to be communicating with my server, saving the settings for the "WebGuide Prism" it just stopped communicating (after about 5 mins) and crashed.

I now have NO CONNECTION to my WHS from any of of the machines that were connected. (This WHS and the clients computers have been running fine without problem for over 6 months)

I spent a 2 hour support call with HP support (I have an HP EX 470 with 3.25TB) We were unable to establish ANY connection into my WHS.

I AM DEAD IN THE WATER AND SURE HOPE THIS FORUM HAS A LIFE PRESERVER WITH MY WHS NAME ON IT!

I am not enough of an IT person to know how to "get into" my WHS without the standard software, and of coarse, HP support doesn't allow their support people to help me beyond what we already tried to do.
    Which included re-installing all software on every client, resetting router and resetting router settings, trying to connect thru router with external internet access removed, and even direct PC to WHS connection and nothing worked.

Can someone help walk me thru to access my WHS directly and get to a point where I could run a server recovery, which I believe would solve the problem?

I will provide my direct email  wilpolthistory@hotmail.com if you would like to respond outside of the forum. 
    Jay
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 1:21 AM

Answers

• If you can get your server into recovery mode, you should be able to do a server recovery. Consult the documentation you received with your server for details (or call HP support again), but basically it consists of pressing a recessed switch while booting your server, and running the server recovery DVD on another computer on your network.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 15, 2008 4:28 PM

All replies

• Let's see if you can still Remote Desktop into your WHS.
    On ony machine in your house:  start > run > mstsc > <enter>
    For the computer name, type the name of your WHS (typically Server)
    Username is Administrator, and the password is {your Console password}

(FYI:  we do prefer that discussions are kept within the forums - this allows others to contribute to your problem, and allows others, later, to find what might be a fix for their issue, as well.
    Also, I'd highly recommend that you remove your email address from your post, as posting your email address, unaltered, in a public forum will nearly always cause the spambots to find you.  :) )

-Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 10:16 PM
  • If you can get your server into recovery mode, you should be able to do a server recovery. Consult the documentation you received with your server for details (or call HP support again), but basically it consists of pressing a recessed switch while booting your server, and running the server recovery DVD on another computer on your network.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 15, 2008 4:28 PM
  • ho ho ho.. recovery mode.. I spent days with this POS after shelling out for the oem version. It uses a proprietary file system that may be great in some regard but sucks big time if you want something that integrates well into your network. I gave up in disgust after hours of frustration with add-ins that did nothing, unresponsive windows just hanging there for hours, etc, etc. It just ain't worth it; send it back for a refund and consider something like a NAS box that runs linux and use the built in apps in windows to backup to there.... Good Luck!!
    Monday, January 5, 2009 12:46 AM
  •  <<It uses a proprietary file system that may be great in some regard...>>
    Nothing 'proprietary' about NTFS.  It's been around for, oh, 15 years now, and is readable by any semi-modern (WinNT 3.1 or later) OS.
    Even the storage pool uses NTFS; it's just that, if you pull a drive and try to find files on it, they aren't where you'll expect them to be.  However, it is well documented how DE works, and where on the drives it puts things.

The sum of your issues sounds like you might not have let the install complete fully - it's a little deceptive as to when WHS is done installing.  Next time, wait until you're at the Welcome screen.  ;)

Add-ins:  you don't need to install every one that you find.  As none are written by MS, some (a good many, in fact) are spotty/odd/no longer supported/no longer developed.

Nice job, though, dredging up a thread that last saw activity almost a month ago, in order to rant.  :P

FWIW, mine's stable.  And, it is self-built, and on nowhere-near-current hardware (it's an old IBM eServer x200.)
    Integrates with my LAN just fine, too.  They are standard SMB shares, after all...

Maybe you want to start your own thread, in the proper forum (say, Software) detailing your issues?  We can get you fixed, if you state, plainly and fully (and, in the proper forum!) what ails you.

-Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Monday, January 5, 2009 1:02 AM