Is it possible just compare 2 file systems without synchronising? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I don't need actually perform file synchronisation at this point and just need to write application which will compare source and destination file system. I need to have all file hashes generated and compared and I need to know if there are extra of missing files in destination directory based on source directory.

I used fciv.exe before to generate XML file and then compare XML files of source and target but I need server side version of fciv.exe and thought if MS Synchronisation framework can do it.

Anybody has pointers if it's possible to do?

Greg

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:47 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Technical Discussion [ReadOnly])
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 7:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Greg -

Take a look at the Preview option on the FileSyncProvider - it will tell you what has changed without actually synchronizing any changes over.

Thanks

Deepa

Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:11 PM
    Answerer
  • Well I need to compare it to remote file system. How can I accomplish that? Basically I need to compare local folder to remote folder and the only traffic allowed between hosts is HTTP. I just need to compare and not sync.

Is that possible or are there any examples how to accomlish that?

If it's not possible then does Framework allow to generate some XML file with current folder and file structure along with hashes of all files and then I can also generate the same hash on remote system via HTTP call and then just compare resulting XML files manually?

Friday, August 22, 2008 2:07 AM