Sig RRS feed

• General discussion

• I want to install external hard drive to my windows 1 care, itused to be on computer sig1 but I want to put it on sigs2 computer,this is a new dell unit and windows one care is already installed and is use but I cannot get windows one care to use it??????????
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:55 PM

All replies

• Do you mean that you had OneCare using Centralized Backup on sig1 as the hub and you now wish to make sigs2 the Hub and have the drive connected there?

By moving the backup drive to a new PC, you will need to reconfigure backup for all PCs in the Circle. So, on sigs1, the hub, disable backup for all PCs and save the revised plan with no backup. Then plug the drive into sigs2 and make that PC a hub in OneCare and proceed with configuring Centralized backup for all PCs.

Your old backup can be deleted or the drive formatted before you set up backup on the new PC as you will be starting a new full backup for all PCs.

If the drive was simply a single PC destination for backup on sig1 and you want to use it on sigs2, plug the drive into sigs2 and configure backup. That, of course, means that the drive will not be available to sig1, so you'll need to turn off backup on that PC.

As long as the drive is connected via USB to the PC and has enough free space, it should be valid for use as a backup destination on the PC.

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:08 PM