Restore: Outlook Express 6 RRS feed

• Question

• After reinstalling Windows XP/OneCare. Restoring my back up files did work and I was able to easily retrieve {as for as I know at this moment} most if not all of my files. However I have NOT been able to retrieve anything that has to do with e-mail {Outlook Express} records of past sent & received e-mails, drafts or my contacts list. After following the procedures within the F.A.Q. The backups appear to be where they are suppose to. I'm just not able to import them to where they need to be?

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 9:20 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Blade_27, see this Microsoft Knowledge Base article on how to restore Outlook Express files from a One Care backup - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943770

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:39 PM
  • Okay thanks for the attempt Jim {you ride by any chance?}, but as I already stated I've followed though the steps within the F.A.Q {the link you've posted up}. The files appear to be where there suppose to be but I still can't them to where they need to be.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 5:34 PM
  • Without seeing all of the files in the restored folder, Other Email Files, I don't know if the index files are there, too, but it is interesting to note that you apparently have 3 copies of every email message located in that folder.

I haven't done the import process from an OE backup, since I'm not an OE user. I don't know if you are pointing to the location where the Index files are located, though they should be in the same location.

If you continue to have problems with the restore, you can manually drag and drop the .eml files to your Inbox and then sort them as needed from within Outlook Express.

If Outlook Express is your default email handler, double clicking a file with an extension of .eml will open the message in an OE message window, too, but then youd still need to drag it to the correct folder.

-steve

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 6:00 PM
  • Okay that was bizarre, I dragged & dropped the .emi files. It turns that they were about 600 e-mails that I received, mostly from 2006 and quite a lot of them spam. The triple files probably has to do with my impatience of trying multiple times of restoring the back ups off of the CD. Still no sign of my contacts list.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:55 PM
  • Go to the Main Identity Folder and delete the (1) and (2) files.

Run the OE import, pointing to that location \Outlook Express Email\Main Identity - for your mail.

You contacts would probably be a .wab file within the "address book" folder, no?

-steve

Thursday, December 11, 2008 1:40 AM
  • Okay after deleting the (1) and (2) files & pointing to location \Outlook Express Email\Main Identity here's where I'm left.

As for the address book containing .wab
    As you can see it's empty but some how still contains 3 files and takes up 732 KB.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:24 AM
  • I recommend that you reach out for support, Blade_27. By the way, I appreciate the screen shots. I'm sorry that it has been so frustrating for you to restore your email. :-(

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Took'em over an hour but I got everything I wanted. Thanks for all the help S.B.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 6:55 PM
  • That is very good news! I'll go get some coffee now to celebrate. :-)

You're welcome, though it was support who solved it for you. Did you see how they restored the data for future reference?

-steve

Thursday, December 11, 2008 7:13 PM
  • It was all right over my head lol. The one who was doing it did it by remote, I guess he got so frustrated with it he just started trying multiple ways when all of a sudden everything just started loading. If I had to guess start/search led to what we were looking for but the actual file was empty. Properties/hidden on the file toggled and BOOM! I'm not sure but I think that may have been the problem.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 3:26 AM
  • I think that hidden properties may have been the ticket. In any event, it was successful after days of frustration. :-) Score one for support!
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, December 12, 2008 5:00 PM