none
What's happened to the moderator for the Training and Certification forum? RRS feed

Answers

• Ed - Thank you for connecting me with Jeff, via Brent.

Jeff - Thank you for offering your time and valuable advice in this forum. I know everyone will benefit from your expertise as an MCT.

Veronica @MSLearning

Thursday, February 2, 2012 11:25 PM
  • Can we distill this down to a solution?

Do we all agree that the Moderators aren't active (and haven't been for 15 days)?

Richard, how did you isolate the Moderator activity? Or did you just comb through it?

Jeff, what's the ask here? Do you want us to contact the Moderators to see what's going on?

Could someone get me the names of the Moderators?

I don't know this forum. Is this a forum where non-MSFT people might be made Moderators? Because that's often a solid solution... more hands means less work.

Thanks Jeff!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:39 PM
    Owner
  • Veronica - Thanks for your support

Ed - Thanks for assisting with this request.

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker

You're welcome!

So the conclusions here (thanks to you and everyone involved in this thread):

- Jeff, you were added as a Moderator. Congratulations! I'm sure you'll do a fantastic job!

- Veronica and others will help breathe new life into the forum.

Thanks again!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Friday, February 3, 2012 2:28 AM
    Owner

All replies

• I've gone to the forum and seen a mass of replies from you there.

But I don't see the connection between that and a Moderator gone awol. What are you basing that comment on - the mere fact that a Moderator hasn't *replied* to a forum thread doesn't mean he/she isn't moderating.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:54 AM
  • The only connection between my replies and the missing moderator is the one implied by you.

The moderator used to visit this forum regularly (multiple times a day) and they were providing great service to users by replying to threads (they were very knowledgeable). I haven’t seen them for quite a while so was wondering what had happened to them.

Jeff Wharton

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    • Edited by Mr. Wharty Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:18 AM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:05 AM
  • Is it possible that they are on vacation?
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:36 PM
  • Last moderator activity in the forum was 15 days ago. The other 2 moderators have been inactive for 2 months or more.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:48 PM
  • This seems to rule out this theory for the other 2 moderators.

My blog
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:59 PM
  • People notice when helpful, knowledgeable and polite members disappear from forums (hence my question regarding a moderator)

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:43 PM
  • Can we distill this down to a solution?

Do we all agree that the Moderators aren't active (and haven't been for 15 days)?

Richard, how did you isolate the Moderator activity? Or did you just comb through it?

Jeff, what's the ask here? Do you want us to contact the Moderators to see what's going on?

Could someone get me the names of the Moderators?

I don't know this forum. Is this a forum where non-MSFT people might be made Moderators? Because that's often a solid solution... more hands means less work.

Thanks Jeff!

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:39 PM
    Owner
  • I went to the linked forum, then looked at "Recent Moderators" at the right of the main screen. There were only 3 moderators, so I looked at the Activity tab of their Profiles.

Is Jeff interested in being a Moderator?

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:32 PM
  • We need at least 1 moderator on this forum as we get quite a lot of posts not relating to Training and Certification (i.e. people wanting answers to technical issues).

I'm not asking to become a moderator as the main moderator was good when they were monitoring the forum. That said, if none of the 3 moderators have been on for 15 days (two for at least 2 months) then we need to contact them to see whether they’re still interested in being a moderator.  If they’re not, I’d be happy to become a moderator.

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:31 PM
  • IMHO, you should be made a moderator in this forum regardless of the status of the other moderators. As MCT you're more than qualified.

My blog
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:55 PM
  • I've emailed the forum owner and asked him to reply. There are quite a few moderators/answers in the forum. Let's see what the owner says I guess.

Moderators

Michael D. Alligood (Partner)

Niall Merrigan (MVP, Partner)

Rubel Khan (Partner)

Answerers

.rev (Partner)

Darril Gibson (Partner)

Dave Lawlor (Partner)

SarahG_MS

Trika _MSFT_ (Partner)

Community Forums Program Manager
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:18 AM
    Answerer
  • The only name I recognise on this list is Niall Merrigan (and trika but not from the forum).  He's the Moderator I'm referring too.
    Jeff Wharton

Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:25 AM
  • I went to the linked forum, then looked at "Recent Moderators" at the right of the main screen. There were only 3 moderators, so I looked at the Activity tab of their Profiles.

Is Jeff interested in being a Moderator?

Thanks Richard! I wish this was the question and answer, so that I can propose it, but I'll at least vote it as helpful. =^)

Well, that's why I asked... to learn from the masters (or at least those with experience). This is actually very helpful, ingenious, and so simple that it makes me shudder with why I haven't done this yet.

I know I'm not the only one. Can I write this process up as a TN Wiki article and give you credit, or do you want to write it up?

Thanks!

Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:18 PM
    Owner
  • IMHO, you should be made a moderator in this forum regardless of the status of the other moderators. As MCT you're more than qualified.

My blog

Agreed. I'll look into this as well. Jeff, can you send me an email? Mine is edprice at Microsoft.

Thanks!

Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:20 PM
    Owner
  • The only name I recognise on this list is Niall Merrigan (and trika but not from the forum).  He's the Moderator I'm referring too.
    Jeff Wharton

A good reason to add someone and to maybe remove those who aren't around anymore. Some forums have high turnover. Comes with the territory of social media tools.

Thanks Jeff.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:22 PM
    Owner

My blog

Agreed. I'll look into this as well. Jeff, can you send me an email? Mine is edprice at Microsoft.

Thanks!

Done and thanks.
    Jeff Wharton

Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:19 PM
  • Ed,

I guess the subject of the Wiki article you refer to would be how to investigate the reputation and experience of other forum users and moderators. From what I've seen you are far better at Wiki articles than I, especially on subjects like this. Don't wait for me.

Friday, January 27, 2012 3:21 AM
  • Ed,

I guess the subject of the Wiki article you refer to would be how to investigate the reputation and experience of other forum users and moderators. From what I've seen you are far better at Wiki articles than I, especially on subjects like this. Don't wait for me.

I was thinking just how to find the moderators. =^)

Thanks!

Friday, January 27, 2012 6:23 AM
    Owner
  • Where are we at with contacting the forum moderators?

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:18 PM
  • Where are we at with contacting the forum moderators?

Jeff Wharton

Okay. I re-pinged. Let me know if you don't hear back in a day or so.

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:55 PM
    Owner
  • Okay. I re-pinged. Let me know if you don't hear back in a day or so.

Thanks!

Progress is happening (people are talking). You can email me further questions of thoughts until we reach a conclusion: edprice at Microsoft.

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:26 AM
    Owner
  • Ed - Thank you for connecting me with Jeff, via Brent.

Jeff - Thank you for offering your time and valuable advice in this forum. I know everyone will benefit from your expertise as an MCT.

Veronica @MSLearning

Thursday, February 2, 2012 11:25 PM

Jeff Wharton

Thursday, February 2, 2012 11:28 PM

Jeff Wharton

You're welcome!

So the conclusions here (thanks to you and everyone involved in this thread):

- Jeff, you were added as a Moderator. Congratulations! I'm sure you'll do a fantastic job!

- Veronica and others will help breathe new life into the forum.

Thanks again!

Friday, February 3, 2012 2:28 AM
    Owner