WHS Install on AMD780G RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys....

Im having some difficulty installing WHS on an Asus M3A78 Pro motherboard.

The installation goes through the first couple of steps (formatting, copying files, installing...) and then on the 2nd reboot (after the blue windows installation section) it freezes as soon as the w2k3 logo comes up.  when i try and start in safemode it appears to stall after it has loaded acpitabl.dat.  i have tried every different sata/ide/raid setting in the bios but they all have the same result. 

i find it odd that whs detects all 4 sata drives, and can copy and install all of the files but cant seem to boot?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:47 PM

Answers

• thanks for all the responses guys.  after tearing whats left of my hair out, i ended up getting another MB of the same model and trying it....turned out the first board was bad.  once the 2nd board was installed (same bios level) everything worked fine!

thanks for all the help!  i hate DOA boards.....
    Monday, February 9, 2009 1:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    which drivers did you install? Windows Home Server has no native SATA drivers included. If the drivers are not Windows Server 2003 compatible, this may lead up to crashes.
    Is the Bios the most current?
    Also try to reset the Bios to the default values, to disconnect all drives but the system disk and to remove all hardware, which is not needed during the installation process.
    Where is the DVD drive attached?
    What for a video card is used?
    How much memory has the system and how much of it is assigned to the video card, if it is a shared memory solution?
    Is the power supply ok and delivers enough power?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 7:49 PM
  • ive tried the ahci drivers from the cd of the motherboard along with different ones downloaded direct from amd.

bios is most current

also have tried resetting everything to default values and have tried installing with nothing but 1 drive, cdrom and the integrated video.  i have also tried using a different pci-e video card in case the integrated video was somehow the issue.

the dvd drive is a sata drive attached to one of the 6 sata ports on the MB.  i have also tried installing with drives in all sort of different ports....same results.

system has 2Gb and 256 is allocated to integrated video

power supply is 460w so that shouldnt be a problem...
    Friday, February 6, 2009 7:33 PM
  • Hi,
    the method which should function would be to install with only one disk attached and the onboard SATA controller changed to IDE mode. Also be aware, that the DVD drive should be connected to one of the first 4 SATA ports.

If the installation runs trough in this configuration, apply all updates and then start to add the other drives physically and after that through the console. Do it single, so that you can mark, which drive is shown where in the console (especially if you have multiple identical drives, this may help to sort out easier in the case of an drive error).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 8:58 AM
  • You have the BIOS set so the DVD is the bootup device and the DVD is plugged into SATA-0. The intended target HDD is the second device on the list and is plugged into SATA-1.  This assumes on that board those two drive slots aren't setup as RAID only since WHS is not RAID friendly.

Bad cables?
    Try to load from an IDE DVD drive?

You've done pretty much all the same things I would try at this point. Have you contacted the MB vendor for help yet? WHS has been installed on all manner of hardware so maybe it is related to the hardware you are trying to use.
    PACS Technical Support Engineer
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 7:01 PM
  • thanks for all the responses guys.  after tearing whats left of my hair out, i ended up getting another MB of the same model and trying it....turned out the first board was bad.  once the 2nd board was installed (same bios level) everything worked fine!

thanks for all the help!  i hate DOA boards.....
    Monday, February 9, 2009 1:00 PM