none
Microsoft Exchange Server Hardware Requirement Clarification (70-662) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

While I was browsing the site http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/en-us/system-requirements.aspx I saw about Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology (Intel EM64T). Upon further search I found http://www.intel.com/support/processors/xeon/sb/cs-012580.htm where they have mentioned about Xeon processor at the bottom. There is a technet site about the system requirement where there is no mention about Intel EM64T. I want to setup a home lab to practice for the exam. Will it be ok, if I can run on Atom D425? (http://ark.intel.com/products/49489/Intel-Atom-processor-D425-%28512K-Cache-1_80-GHz%29) . Can some one please clarify. I plan to start in few days. Thanks in advance.

Umapathy (உமாபதி) MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, Consumer Support Technician MCTS: Windows Vista - Configuration, BSc, MCP, A+, MCDST
    • Edited by Umapathyxp Saturday, December 17, 2011 5:26 PM
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 5:26 PM

Answers

• I can see it mentioned

Hardware requirements for Exchange 2010

Component Requirement Notes

Processor

• x64 architecture-based computer with Intel processor that supports Intel 64 architecture (formerly known as Intel EM64T)
    • AMD processor that supports the AMD64 platform
    • Intel Itanium IA64 processors not supported

It's supported to install the Exchange management tools on a computer that has a 64-bit processor.

For more information, see Install the Exchange 2010 Management Tools and Prepare Active Directory and Domains

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    • Marked as answer by Umapathyxp Monday, December 19, 2011 1:41 PM
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 3:39 AM

All replies

• Can you please provide the link to the TechNet site
    Jeff Wharton

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:21 PM
  • Jeff Wharton, here is the link to Exchange 2010 System requirement via technet.
    Umapathy (உமாபதி) MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, Consumer Support Technician MCTS: Windows Vista - Configuration, BSc, MCP, A+, MCDST
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 2:15 AM
  • I can see it mentioned

Hardware requirements for Exchange 2010

Component Requirement Notes

Processor

• x64 architecture-based computer with Intel processor that supports Intel 64 architecture (formerly known as Intel EM64T)
    • AMD processor that supports the AMD64 platform
    • Intel Itanium IA64 processors not supported

It's supported to install the Exchange management tools on a computer that has a 64-bit processor.

For more information, see Install the Exchange 2010 Management Tools and Prepare Active Directory and Domains

Jeff Wharton

• Marked as answer by Umapathyxp Monday, December 19, 2011 1:41 PM
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 3:39 AM
  • Jeff Wharton, thanks for the promptly reply. Microsoft site was clear but not the intel site was not. For example, Intel® Extended Memory 64 Technology (Intel® EM64T)  refers to Xeon while Intel® 64 Architecture refers to

"The 2nd generation Intel® Core™ vPro™ processor family arms business PCs with hardware-assisted security, manageability capabilities, and enhanced performance.

For desktops, the Intel® Core™ processor family offers the smartest and fastest processors from Intel. Adapting to the needs of users, the technology inside the 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ processor family is designed to automatically adjust to shifting performance demands while reducing power consumption.

Laptops equipped with a processor from the 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ processor family deliver unmatched mobile technology for intelligent performance—from digital video to intense games to demanding business tasks."

Though there is no mention about Atom series processor may be because of financial motivations to sell the high end processor but the site for intel d425 does mention that IA64 capable. I hope this will work. This is one of the cheapest motherboard+embedded processor available in Sri Lanka costing less than 80$.

My intention is to practice in a cost effective system.

Monday, December 19, 2011 12:45 AM
  • Jeff Wharton, thanks for the promptly reply. Microsoft site was clear but not the intel site was not. For example, Intel® Extended Memory 64 Technology (Intel® EM64T)  refers to Xeon while Intel® 64 Architecture refers to

I thought you said that TechNet doesn't show any details of EM64T

Quote: "There is a technet site about the system requirement where there is no mention about Intel EM64T."

It's irrelevant what Intel states as Microsoft are the ones who set requirements for its software.

Jeff Wharton

Monday, December 19, 2011 1:54 AM
  • I am sorry. It was my typo.

Monday, December 19, 2011 1:42 PM