Dolores McGauley RRS feed

• Question

• My one care system keeps telling me to backup my files but when I try to back them up centrally it won't take the drive that I give it for backup.  I want to put it on a disk in E drive but it keeps telling me to name a location.  I thought that was the location.  I have had nothing but problems with this new VISTA program.  I keep having to delete a program and then downloading it again.  I signed up for Dell DataSafe Local Backup but VISTA won't recognize the program.  I have to go get some sleep now, but I'll check for answers when I get up in the morning.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 5:46 AM

Answers

• Have you ever done a backup with OneCare? What is your "E:" drive? Is it an external disk or your CD/DVD burner?
    Since you signed up for the Dell program, I suggest that you contact Dell for support with their program on your Vista machine and disable the OneCare backup.
    If you wish to use OneCare backup, and you had previously done a backup, try the steps here to reset your plan:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/5f18a60d-add4-4ff2-87cf-021db7e81917

If you are trying to backup to blank CD\DVD media, make sure that your discs are not RW type discs, but R or write once discs. Also, make sure that you do not have any software actively running that is interfering with the burner. If you have Roxio or Nero installed, the Packet Writing software may have been enabled as part of their suites. In Roxio, this is DirectCD and Nero calls it InCD. There must be uninstalled or they will take ownership of the burner and cause conflicts with OneCare's use of it for backup.

If you need help with setting up backup or making it work, you can contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, September 4, 2009 1:35 PM