none
Restore Deleted File RRS feed

• Question

• It does not appear that when a file is deleted in the Right Folder that it is restored on a sync from the Left Folder. Is this not possible? Presently, we have the SyncToy Action set to Echo.

Regards,
    AB
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 3:05 PM

Answers

• Hi AB

Please read the SyncToy FAQ page: http://forums.microsoft.com/sync/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3753122&SiteID=75

That page explains the relationship between the Sync Action ECHO and deletes in the right folder. 

ECHO does a 1-way synchronization from Left Folder to Right Folder.  Changes in the right folder will not be propagated to the left one.  If you want both folders to be in full synchronization, you should use the Synchronize action.

Maria del Mar Alvarez Rohena - MSFT

Monday, November 17, 2008 7:24 PM

All replies

• Hi AB

Please read the SyncToy FAQ page: http://forums.microsoft.com/sync/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3753122&SiteID=75

That page explains the relationship between the Sync Action ECHO and deletes in the right folder. 

ECHO does a 1-way synchronization from Left Folder to Right Folder.  Changes in the right folder will not be propagated to the left one.  If you want both folders to be in full synchronization, you should use the Synchronize action.

Maria del Mar Alvarez Rohena - MSFT

Monday, November 17, 2008 7:24 PM
  •  

Looks like there are errors in the SyncToy Help file.

The SyncToy 2 Help file for Synchronization mode says " Renames and deletes on either side are repeated on the other."

The example directory listing in the Help file shows that a file deleted from the Right Directory (J.txt) is deleted by SyncToy from the Left Directory.

However, this is NOT the way SyncToy 2.0 operates.

I deleted a file from the Right Directory but left it in there in the Left Directory.  SyncToy restored it to the Right Directory with the "Synchronize" action.

I'm glad it works this way -- this is what I want it to do.

I hope you plan to correct the Help file, and NOT change the code to work according to the Help file.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:04 PM