Deleting and tracking of e-mails from Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• a) Is there any difference between "Regarding" only in order to track e-mails  and use the "Track in CRM" + "Regarding" ?

b) Will the e-mails be saved on the CRM server when setting "Regarding"  i.e can all users delete the e-mails form thier Outlook ? 
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:20 AM

Answers

• Hi,

a) If you click "Track in CRM" + "Regarding", there is no difference between this activity and clicking just "Regarding". However, if you only click "Track in CRM", the email will be either tracked:
    - with no regarding object (if the email cannot be resolved) or
    - against any account or lead or user based on the to, cc, bcc and subject fields or
    - it will be tracked against the record it has been tracked so far in CRM.

b) When you track your emails from Outlook, an activity of type Email will be created in CRM and saved in the database. You can delete the email from Outlook, and the email will still exist in CRM. All the information about recipients will be saved in the email activity.

I hope that helps,
    Kuba
    -- Kuba Skałbania, Netwise
    • Marked as answer by UffeEdslev Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:52 AM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:41 AM
  • If you use Track in CRM, CRM will attempt to associate the email with the appropriate CRM contact/lead/account records based on the email addresses in the email (I think From, To and CC are analysed, but BCC is not). The email can be tracked against more than one record. Once tracked, the email can be moved from the inbox to another folder (or deleted).

Set Regarding invites the user is asked to make a manual association. But only one record can be tracked. When you use Set Regarding, CRM also Tracks in CRM at the same time, so there is no need to use Track in CRM and Set Regarding together.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

a) If you click "Track in CRM" + "Regarding", there is no difference between this activity and clicking just "Regarding". However, if you only click "Track in CRM", the email will be either tracked:
    - with no regarding object (if the email cannot be resolved) or
    - against any account or lead or user based on the to, cc, bcc and subject fields or
    - it will be tracked against the record it has been tracked so far in CRM.

b) When you track your emails from Outlook, an activity of type Email will be created in CRM and saved in the database. You can delete the email from Outlook, and the email will still exist in CRM. All the information about recipients will be saved in the email activity.

I hope that helps,
    Kuba
    -- Kuba Skałbania, Netwise
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:41 AM
  • If you use Track in CRM, CRM will attempt to associate the email with the appropriate CRM contact/lead/account records based on the email addresses in the email (I think From, To and CC are analysed, but BCC is not). The email can be tracked against more than one record. Once tracked, the email can be moved from the inbox to another folder (or deleted).

Set Regarding invites the user is asked to make a manual association. But only one record can be tracked. When you use Set Regarding, CRM also Tracks in CRM at the same time, so there is no need to use Track in CRM and Set Regarding together.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:45 AM
  • 1) Is possible to delete from the CRM database all emails set as TRACKED by CRM users but NOT liked to a CRM record (so with not set regarding)?

2) is possible to search and open in CRM an email tracked but without a "set regarding"?

THANKS!
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 11:44 AM
  • 1) Tricky one. It's fairly straight forward to write a workflow to pick up and delete all Emails where Regarding field does not contain data, but then the problem you have is that many emails tracked by users may not necessarily have another record within CRM that it is 'regarding'. Courtesy emails such as 'Happy Birthday' probably only need to be linked to the customer, meaning in most instances the regarding field would be null. Therefore the danger is your workflow will start deleting emails you may wish to have kept. Ideally a solution to find an email that isn't linked to ANY record within the system is what you need, and to the best of my knowledge that isn't achievable from the workflow/advanced find UI. (Unless someone can say otherwise, in which case I'd LOVE to hear it myself too!)

2) Certainly is - they'll all be listed in Closed Activities/My Closed Activities. You can use any of the normal search methods to locate the email you're after by searching against any number of fields within the email record: to, CC, BCC, Subject etc. Obviously if auto tracking is switched on from within the Outlook client and the account/contact/lead exists within the CRM database, then the email will automatically be saved in that records history.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:47 PM
  • Is there a way to set the software to NOT automatically track the email in CRM?  Our agency uses Set Regarding to tie an email to projects, but we don't necessarily need to track the entire email chain.  Currently, we click the Set Regarding button and tie the email to a project, then we have to go and Untrack the email from the project, but say "NO" to to only stop the tracking and not delete the record (email) in CRM.  Ideas?

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 4:10 PM