WLOC 2 (for Vista) Circle Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

There is a good chance this has been asked and answered, I just couldn't find it. So, it is my understanding that a hub PC can remotely take neccesary actions only when a potential problem is discovered. That is all well and good, but here is my question: In order for this to work, to the member PC's need to be on the same LAN, or can this be done over the internet. Reason being, if the computer is on my LAN, there is no challenge to going to the computer and fixing it myself locally, however, I also try to maintain some family members computers that live in other states, and currently do so via RDP or WebEx. There have been a couple things come up that there was no option to take action, it merely said to go to the computer to fix it. If WLOC is able to read the status of WLOC over the web, why not also be able to send action commands remotely as well?
    Thursday, August 9, 2007 8:43 PM

Answers

•  

The current implementation for 2.0 is that only locally connected PCs can receive actions from the hub, although status will be communicated via the OneCare servers to the hub from the remote PC. As I responded to your other post, I suspect that work on expanding this so that actions can be peformed remotely, too, is underway.

-steve

Friday, August 10, 2007 7:07 PM

All replies

• Good question Chris. The reason may be security related but that's just a guess. If you have access to Connect you should file a suggestion or you can use the send feedback link on the help menu in One Care.

Friday, August 10, 2007 12:39 PM
  •  

The current implementation for 2.0 is that only locally connected PCs can receive actions from the hub, although status will be communicated via the OneCare servers to the hub from the remote PC. As I responded to your other post, I suspect that work on expanding this so that actions can be peformed remotely, too, is underway.

-steve

Friday, August 10, 2007 7:07 PM