Backup files - how do have files saved without compression RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know if I'm dreaming, but I thought that when I originally signed up for LiveOne Care the backup feature saved all my data files, e.g. WordPerfect, in their mirror image from my C drive.  In other words, immediately after the backup was finished running I could go to my external drive and check the folders and the folders would be there in the identical format as they are found on my C drive, thus very easy for me to double check a folder.   I just happened to check my backup just now and everything is compressed into zip folders and nothing looks like it use to.   So what changed?  Is this a software change?  Or did I inadvertently do something in my configuration that changed it?  Can I get it back the way it use to be, i.e. mirror image of my C drive?

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 12:34 PM

Answers

• JMP88,

Thank you for visiting the OneCare program forums.

OneCare backs up your files into zip files, which is why you are seeing the change from the individual file format to

zip files.  You can use the OneCare program to restore those files to the original file format.

I hope this helps!

Lori MS

Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:57 PM

All replies

• JMP88,

Thank you for visiting the OneCare program forums.

OneCare backs up your files into zip files, which is why you are seeing the change from the individual file format to

zip files.  You can use the OneCare program to restore those files to the original file format.

I hope this helps!

Lori MS

Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:57 PM
  • No, sorry, this doesn't help.  I know that OneCare is now backing up the files in a compressed zip file.  I don't want it to do that.  Is there any way I can change it so the backup is just a straightforward mirror image of the files I have on my C: drive?  (I need to have immediate individual access to my files that are backed up on my external drive.  I didn't sign up for OneCare to have this control taken away from me.  Indeed, Norton's switch to automatic zip format is what made me drop Norton and switch to Live OneCare to begin with.  As I recall when I first signed up for OneCare the backup was in a mirror image and NOT in zip files. 

MS OneCare's switch to zip files totally ignores how your users are using their backup files. 

Looking forward to your reply. 

Thank you for your time.

JMP

Monday, September 22, 2008 2:03 PM
  • JMP88,

OneCare zips the files for the very reason to take up less space when backing up to an external hard drive and/or

CD/DVD.  There is no way to change this behavior.

You can disable Backup by launching OneCare > Change settings > Click on the Backup Tab > Configure Backup

> Uncheck "Turn on backup on this PC" > Next > Save > OK,  to use the backup program that you want to use.

I hope this helps,

Lori MS

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:21 PM
  • OneCare has never backed up files by copying them directly, The format that you see today is the format that they have always been backed up to. What you are looking for is a straight copy of your data files from point a to point b. For that I'd recommend a free utility from Microsoft called SyncToy - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C26EFA36-98E0-4EE9-A7C5-98D0592D8C52&displaylang=en

-steve

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 6:45 PM