Will I be able to install a 64 bit version of Windows 7 Professional on my computer when my brother has the 32 bit version on his computer? RRS feed

• Question

• I just got a new computer and it needs a 64 bit operating system to work properly. My brother has a 64 bit copy of Windows 7 that would work on my computer, but he has the 32 bit version of the OS on his computer. My question is this, if he is running the 32 bit version, is there any way to install the 64 bit version on my computer without screwing up either version for updates and without having to buy a new key? We spent all our money on this computer and I wont be able to afford a new key for a while since all the available money I get needs to go to my brother to pay him back. Thanks for any help in advance.
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 7:08 PM

Answers

• No, one key equals one installation, that is for retail. OEM is more restrictive, it can only be installed on one computer period, it can not be transfered.
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 7:15 PM

All replies

• No, one key equals one installation, that is for retail. OEM is more restrictive, it can only be installed on one computer period, it can not be transfered.
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 7:15 PM
  • Look on your computer for the Windows 7 Certificate of Authenticity.  The 25-alphanumeric characters are your product key.  This product key will only work with the edition of Windows 7 that came preinstalled from the factory.  In your case, if it is for Windows 7 Professional, it will work with a Windows 7 Professional 32-bit or 64-bit disc.  However, one cannot directly upgrade a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit operating system...a "clean install" woyld be required which entails reformatting your hard drive during the setup installation phase.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 8:13 PM
  • Hello Reiyichi,

Be aware of the fact that Carl-OH posted, that even though your brother's retail package came with two discs, it only came with one Product Key so you only get one activation at a time on any one computer.  If you activate the 64-bit installation on your computer with his product key, you will cause his key to be possibly identified as nongenuine.

If you install the 64-bit disc onto your computer and do not enter a product key during setup, your windows installation will operate perfectly normally within the 30-day "grace period."  Once that grace period is up, you will have to enter a genuine, not previously used product key to activate the edition of Window 7 you installed, or else the installation will go into reduced functionality mode.

If you're sure you'll be able to buy a key within the 30 day grace period, go ahead and install.

If you're not sure, then you can install anyway (just don't use your brother's key), knowing that if you arrive at the end of the grace period and don't have a genuine unused product key, you will have to do a clean installation of Windows 7 and start the process all over again.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 11:12 PM