Restore process changes PC time. RRS feed

• Question

• I thought I was going mad over the past few days trying to restore / rebuild my PC because after each restore (perhaps boot off the downloaded msi with the latest ISO for WHS restore CD), my PC's clock gets forwarded by 40 hours.  It's screwed up a few programs that I had installed just a day before and got reports that the PC clock had been set to the future possibly to circumvent the trial period.

Is changing the PC date and time still an issue when doing a restore?
    Monday, November 24, 2008 8:23 PM

Answers

• Doing a system restore may still cause the time on the PC being restored to change. 
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by BobC_01 Sunday, February 1, 2009 11:36 AM
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 4:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    I have never experienced this behavior. The only issue with time I found is the default time zone of a fresh WHS install, which points to Pacific time. Changing the time and not looking to the time zone setting may cause the computer clock on the server run wrong, causing interaction problems in your LAN.
    Just to be sure - does your WHS show the proper system time?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, November 24, 2008 9:50 PM
  • The WHS time and zone are correct, as are the XP settings on the client.  But when I did a full restore of the system partition the time on the client was forwarded by the amount mentioned (or theerabouts).  As I haven't needed to do another full partition restore, I cannot verify whether it still is a problem after the recent updates.
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 1:24 AM
  • Doing a system restore may still cause the time on the PC being restored to change. 
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by BobC_01 Sunday, February 1, 2009 11:36 AM
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 4:59 AM