Support? What support? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've installed Live OneCare on two of three computers and they work well. The third one, actually the most important one, has installation issues. It installed, and seems to be working to some extent, but the control panel doesn't work.

I contacted Tech Support and recieved an answer last week. I responded to the instructions, which didn't clear up the problem, and I haven't had an answer since.

I don't know whether this tech is away or what, but I would hope somebody would be managing things she doesn't manage.

What's up with that?

d..

Monday, January 21, 2008 1:50 PM

Answers

• I'm putting this in the form of a new thread because when I clicked the link in the email I got a screen (the first two time I got email reminders) that my session had expired.

This time I got a page that said my thread had been MERGED somewhere with others. After 10 minutes of searching I gave up on ever finding it. This site seriously needs a webmaster.

ANYWAY, to answer Steve's question about whether tech support got me fixed up, after five days, three of which were spent with live chat technicians, and two of which were spent in waiting for the escalation team to call, they finally got WLOC set up on my third computer.

To recap, WLOC installation went well with the first two of my computers, but with the third one (the most important one) it would install, but when the PneCare screen came up it halted and Task Manager reported it NOT RESPONDING. Well the escalation team guy spent an hour, yesterday, mucking about in my computer and finally it went through and became operative. The registration went through and I now have three computers active in my "OneCare Circle". The firts time it popped up this morning it was also NOT RESPONDING, but I just tried it again and it seems OK.

I like OneCare and what it does. I like the price. Now that it fully operative I hope to be a regular customer.

If it doesn't fail again.

Best regards,

Don

Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:54 PM

All replies

•  

There are many threads in the forums for people encountering serious problems with OneCare not starting after the update to 2.0. The OneCare team is working to identify all of the causes for these problems and hope to have fixes available soon (no, I don't know when).

However, at this time, they have identified the following:

This issue could be caused if one of the following services is disabled or not running. The workaround is to enable these services : 

1. Terminal services
    2. Network Location Awareness
    3. Network Store Interface Service
    4. Network List Services

Go to Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services

Look for the above services in the list and change them to Automatic from manual or disabled and then start them if they are not listed as "Started."

Then, open a command prompt -

In XP, Start/All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt

In Vista, type cmd in the search box at the Start Orb and then right click cmd.exe on the resulting list and select Run as Administator.

Type:  Net Start WINSS

and press <enter> to start the OneCare service.

If this fails to resolve the problem, please contact Support:

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

Monday, January 21, 2008 1:54 PM
  • Don, what were the steps suggested by support? Is the only problem that you are unable to open the OneCare interface? Does it hang or does it crash?

If support has not responded back in a week, I would recommend opening a new support case and referring to the old case ID when you open it.

-steve

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:31 PM
  • I'm on a live chat with tech support now.

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:55 PM
  • Any status, Don?

-steve

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 12:17 AM
  • I'm putting this in the form of a new thread because when I clicked the link in the email I got a screen (the first two time I got email reminders) that my session had expired.

This time I got a page that said my thread had been MERGED somewhere with others. After 10 minutes of searching I gave up on ever finding it. This site seriously needs a webmaster.

ANYWAY, to answer Steve's question about whether tech support got me fixed up, after five days, three of which were spent with live chat technicians, and two of which were spent in waiting for the escalation team to call, they finally got WLOC set up on my third computer.

To recap, WLOC installation went well with the first two of my computers, but with the third one (the most important one) it would install, but when the PneCare screen came up it halted and Task Manager reported it NOT RESPONDING. Well the escalation team guy spent an hour, yesterday, mucking about in my computer and finally it went through and became operative. The registration went through and I now have three computers active in my "OneCare Circle". The firts time it popped up this morning it was also NOT RESPONDING, but I just tried it again and it seems OK.

I like OneCare and what it does. I like the price. Now that it fully operative I hope to be a regular customer.

If it doesn't fail again.

Best regards,

Don

Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:54 PM
  • Thanks for the follow-up, Don.

Sorry about the forum goofiness. It does burp now and again. I've gotten used to its quirks, but they can be annoying. The MSDN Forums team is responsible for the environment that hosts the OneCare forum. So, there is actually a "webmaster" team.

I'm glad to read that support finally got your last installation taken care of. It sounds like you still have a resource issue at startup. It will probably fail on first startup after a reboot all of the time or it may only happen occasionally. When it fails, wait a bit and start it manually. It is my understanding that this is one of the issues to be addressed by the update due within the next few weeks.

Thanks again,

-steve

Thursday, January 24, 2008 2:17 PM
  • Oh, and I merged your threads together. :-)

-steve

Thursday, January 24, 2008 2:18 PM
  • I found this program yesterday. And you Must Save the download. It worked for me....Thank you Stephen for the link!!!!

Stephen Boots

MVP

Posts 15,882
    Windows Live OneCare Virus and Spyware Repair Tool (failing to start at Install/Update)
    Was this post helpful ?

This tool was posted today to help resolve a problem described in the overview below.

Before proceeding with this tool, if you encounter the error, "Urgent, Contact Help Center - OneCare virus and spyware protection encountered a problem and cannot start," you should first simply reboot the computer to see if the problem goes away.

Windows Live OneCare Virus and Spyware Repair Tool http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=70adca25-950c-4b1b-a5e2-297e80aa67b1&DisplayLang=en

Overview

After an install or an upgrade of Windows Live OneCare, the antivirus and spyware component may not start properly. Users are shown a red action item entitles: "Urgent, Contact Help Center - OneCare virus and spyware protection encountered a problem and cannot start".
    This tool will attempt to repair the virus and spyware protection component of OneCare on this computer.

Instructions

1) Click 'Download' and then 'Save' - you MUST save this program to your local computer.
    2) Choose 'Run' after it has been downloaded to start the repair tool. You must be logged in as an administrator
    2) Click continue to begin the process
    3) Accept the terms of use, and click continue
    4) Click Repair to run the tool.
    5) The tool will attempt to reset OneCare virus and spyware settings. OneCare will be restarted and the "Urgent Contact Help Center" action item should be gone. Virus and sypare definition files may be temporarily out of date until new signature files are automatically downloaded and installed for you.

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 2:59 PM
  • Sorry to hear that your have trouble. I intsalled the retail CD and can't get it activated. The support system is no help and I'm send from one place to another with no answers. My last recort is the call to a support line. Then if that doesn't help, I'll remove it and find another service. Write it off as a loss.

Naner2

Thursday, January 24, 2008 3:12 PM
  •  Naner2 wrote:

Sorry to hear that your have trouble. I intsalled the retail CD and can't get it activated. The support system is no help and I'm send from one place to another with no answers. My last recort is the call to a support line. Then if that doesn't help, I'll remove it and find another service. Write it off as a loss.

Naner2

What is the problem you are having with activation? Are you encountering an error?

-steve

Thursday, January 24, 2008 5:44 PM
  • Microsoft has the WORST support of all companies. Time for some competition to Windows and all their other ***.
    Friday, July 11, 2008 1:19 AM
  •  DEMTEX wrote:
    Microsoft has the WORST support of all companies. Time for some competition to Windows and all their other ***.

Support is far from perfect, but "worst" is certainly a stretch. There are certainly much worse...

Did you have a bad experience with OneCare support? If so, please post your case number and explain what the problem is/was.

-steve

Friday, July 11, 2008 12:04 PM