Worm:Win32/Emold.gen!D == Does a Microsoft removal solution exist? RRS feed

• Question

• OneCare Live detects but can not remove Worm:Win32/Emold.gen!D

SafeModeAVScanner -s -h detects nothing.

Support calls to India have proven futile.

Is there a known Microsoft solution for removal?

Regards
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 8:18 PM

Answers

• I'm sorry to read of your poor support experience. If you could post the case ID, I'd like to have this investigated and escalated if they were unable to remove the infection.

-steve

Monday, October 13, 2008 5:21 PM

All replies

• You can try creating a support log:

1.            Click “Change OneCare Settings” in the Main OneCare user interface
    2.            Click the “Logging” Tab
    3.            Click the “Create support log” button

You should be able to see in the log where the virus is being found. I have been experiencing the same thing (different virus), and it is on an external OneCare backup drive. Still trying to get an answer on how to remove it.

Saturday, October 11, 2008 8:24 PM
  • The result is; after five and a half hours on the phone with support, the Microsoft expert deleted my email inbox, tried to recover but failed.  Incompetent.
    I'm the only PC user left in the household, but not for long.
    That pisses me off.
    Sunday, October 12, 2008 9:44 PM
  • I'm sorry to read of your poor support experience. If you could post the case ID, I'd like to have this investigated and escalated if they were unable to remove the infection.

-steve

Monday, October 13, 2008 5:21 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.  Case # 1081453872
    The worm is 'gone' as well as my email Inbox.  But then again I do not trust Microsoft OneCare anymore, so who knows if it the worm truly was eradicated.  Unable to recover the deleted Inbox.  I actually watched the guy tunnel into my PC and  download and run an undelete software package.  Problem was, it was a trial program not enabled to actually recover files! 

Got a call 30 minutes ago from Microsoft asking how things were, after the guy in India left me hanging awaiting his return call after 2 PM Pacific Time yesterday.  ~24 hours ago. 

I appreciate any help but the chances that the drive was overwritten are too great.

BTW This reply was written on an old Mac laptop.

regards, gary
    Monday, October 13, 2008 9:01 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I'll have the case looked into.

-steve

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:55 PM
  • Same problem here. OneCare finds this trojan, but cant remove it.

What should I do? Just bought OneCare, but this is a bad first impression...
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 8:40 PM
  • Henri,

If you are using Windows Live OneCare and you have been infected, but OneCare did not detect or cannot remove the malware, please contact support to report this and for help with removal.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

Friday, November 7, 2008 4:13 PM