none
"a problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the licence" RRS feed

• Question

• First time posting, so please be gentle!

I have the following setup which was working fine for the past twelve months or so:

XP Pro on a home built machine with following specs:

Asus P5GDC Deluxe mobo
    P4 3.6
    1 gb RAM
    2x Maxtor SATA 300gb in RAID 1 using Intel ICH6R RAID controller

Now on boot I get BIOS type screen showing that:

ID =0 Name = NeilsRaid Level = Raid1 (mirror) Strip = N/A size = 279.4gb status = degraded, bootable = yes

Physical disks:
    Port 0 Type/status = Member disk (0)
    Port 1 Type/status = Error Occurred (0)

If I continue to boot to Xp I get the old type login box, I enter user name & password, loading personal settings & then get following error message:

"a problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the licence for this computer. Error code 0x80090019"

I have tried swapping around the SATA cables & using fresh cables & it would appear that one of the drives has gone west, but I thought that the point of having a RAID1 setup was that you could continue to work normally with one disk?

I should also mention that the machine did boot twice with both disks showing as member disks and the raid status as 'rebuild', Xp took longer to load but still returned the licence error.

A search for the error code showed a problem with WinTools & a workaround, machine will boot to safe mode but I cannot login.

If I reset disks to non raid in the RAID utility will I lose all my data?

Sorry for being so long winded, but I'm trying to furnish as much info as possible!

Help!!!

Neil

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 10:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 10:13 PM
  •  

Sorry for delay in replying, have been laid up with the 'flu

I have replaced the offending HDD and the RAID setup appears all happy again, but need to rebuild the RAID.

It tells me that it does this from within the operating system but I get as far as Username & password and still getting the 0x80090019 error as previously posted.  As a matter of interest, it has reverted to the 'classic' logon dialog for some reason.

I cannot boot into safe mode, when I enter my user name & password it starts to load but then throws up an Administrator login, which has not been set up.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Neil

Saturday, March 31, 2007 3:32 PM
  • Ultrap3,

Did you do the repair reinstallation?

Saturday, March 31, 2007 9:11 PM
  • Dan,

I didn't, as I wanted to get the HDD/RAID issue sorted first, which it now appears (hopefully!) to be.

I am terrified of losing the data on the remaining good disk, will the repair install interefere with it do you think?

Thanks,

Neil

Saturday, March 31, 2007 10:14 PM
  • Ultrap3,

The repair reinstallation is designed to preserve your documents and data, but it's always a good idea to backup any valuable data before you do the repair.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/

Sunday, April 1, 2007 12:53 AM
  • Unfortunately I cannot do a backup as I cannot access the disk, I was scheduled to do a weekly backup the day after the system sat down Sad

As I said I am afraid of losing data, and two of the points in the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/ article have attracted my concern, firstly:  

• "Do not use a repair or in-place upgrade to try to resolve a problem with a user account, password, or local profile. To determine if the problem is related to a user account, password, or local profile, create another user account (if you can), and then log on to that account to see if the problem is resolved."

and

• "Do not use a repair or in-place upgrade if you suspect disk problems"

The RAID has not yet been rebuilt, would this go ahead after the repair/install?

Sorry for testing you patience, but this is new ground for me and I am finding it difficult to get help!

Thaks again

Neil

Sunday, April 1, 2007 11:59 AM
  • Ultrap3,

Your situation has developed beyond the capabilities and intent of the WGA forum.

May I suggest posting to the support forum for your RAID card or if it is an onboard RAID chipset, the motherboard support forum?

Sunday, April 1, 2007 3:32 PM
  • Ok, will do.

Thanks for your help

Sunday, April 1, 2007 7:14 PM
  •  

"a problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the licence"

To fix that problem,

Open your computer in safe mode,

open a command promt

Register the following DLL s

it should be in the %system root% \ system32 folder

just type the following statements one by one and see you got success information popup

regsvr32 licwmi.dll

regsvr32 regwizc.dll

regsvr32 licdll.dll

regsvr32 jscript.dll

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

regsvr32 msxml.dll

regsvr32 shdocvw.dll

regsvr32 softpub.dll

regsvr32 wintrust.dll

regsvr32 initpki.dll

regsvr32 dssenh.dll

regsvr32 rsaenh.dll

regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll

regsvr32 sccbase.dll

regsvr32 slbcsp.dll

regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

then try to restart,

I have done that in windows 2003 standart edittion server, and succeeded.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 2:42 PM
  • For the record in my particular case, I was having the same message and unfortunately the previous solution did not work for me. However it may work for others.  I was using WinXP SP2 and got the  license error as well.  as far as I have been able to determine it might be a corrupted password cache from the domain, since I can logn to the computer but can't login as any user to the domain. When I try logging in as some other user, I guess the Network login service is not running.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 10:21 PM