Changed motherboard and processor, now windows will not activate. It was activated prior to change with no issues. HELP! RRS feed

• Question

• I just changed my motherboard and processor. I have two boot drives, both were originally windows 7, with different product keys, and both were legitimately purchased by myself. Both drives were updated to windows 10 prior to the change in hardware. Now Windows is showing that it is not activated. I was able to activate one boot drive, but the other one will not accept the product key.

BTW - This is not a store bought computer but one I built myself and purchased Windows separately and installed when I built the machine.

I AM NOT GOING TO BUY ANOTHER COPY OF WINDOWS as my original version was legit and activated.  Please provide a contact number I can call to get this situation taken care of.

Scott F

• Edited by Scott 727 Monday, November 30, 2015 3:33 AM
    Monday, November 30, 2015 3:31 AM

Answers

• To follow up.  I tried a chat session with support, which was absolutely a waste of time.  The tech actually advised me to put the drive back with the old motherboard to fix the issue.  (Sure)  Then I was advised that the situation could easily be fixed by purchasing a new license.  (maybe he get's a kick back?)  

I then scheduled a call with support the next morning, and was able to get the issue resolved with no hassle.  Phone support A+, chat support solid F.

Unfortunately finding the link to get the needed help was not intuitive, and I don't recall the exact steps I went through to eventually get to the folks who could get the job done.  All in all, compared to previous versions of Windows and related support, Windows 10 has earned a solid D grade in my book.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 1:02 PM

All replies

• To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool

(download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )

Once saved, run the tool.

Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.

To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.x

- in your own thread, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 8:05 AM
  • To follow up.  I tried a chat session with support, which was absolutely a waste of time.  The tech actually advised me to put the drive back with the old motherboard to fix the issue.  (Sure)  Then I was advised that the situation could easily be fixed by purchasing a new license.  (maybe he get's a kick back?)  

I then scheduled a call with support the next morning, and was able to get the issue resolved with no hassle.  Phone support A+, chat support solid F.

Unfortunately finding the link to get the needed help was not intuitive, and I don't recall the exact steps I went through to eventually get to the folks who could get the job done.  All in all, compared to previous versions of Windows and related support, Windows 10 has earned a solid D grade in my book.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 1:02 PM
  • if the windows thing don't get better i am going with apple and they can stick it
    Wednesday, December 23, 2015 12:41 PM