Microsoft Security Essentials should support Home Server 2 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Since Home Server 2 is a "Home" product and not a business product, supporting tools should support it as such.  Currently, Microsoft Security Essentials says it does not support it because it is a "Server OS" or something like that.  I do not see a technical issue that would limit this support, only a marketing one.  It is my suggestion that MS open support to all "Home" OS'es in supporting products like Microsoft Security Essentials.  In this case support has the added bonus of making MS OS'es appear more secure as well, since right now, I do not have any AV software running on this box.  I expect others are in the same boat as me, since most AV solutions see "Server" and think $$$.

Thanks,

AkhAkh

Friday, May 7, 2010 4:45 PM

All replies

• Since Home Server 2 is a "Home" product and not a business product, supporting tools should support it as such.  Currently, Microsoft Security Essentials says it does not support it because it is a "Server OS" or something like that.  I do not see a technical issue that would limit this support, only a marketing one.  It is my suggestion that MS open support to all "Home" OS'es in supporting products like Microsoft Security Essentials.  In this case support has the added bonus of making MS OS'es appear more secure as well, since right now, I do not have any AV software running on this box.  I expect others are in the same boat as me, since most AV solutions see "Server" and think $$$.

Thanks,

AkhAkh

You should post your suggestion on Connect (or just vote for the one that's already there at the top of the most voted-up list  :)  ).
    Friday, May 7, 2010 6:52 PM
  • I agree and I'll vote up the suggestion that is on there.

For what it's worth, I've found that Clamwin (http://www.clamwin.com/) will install on Vail (not authorized nor supported by Microsoft, of course).  I've been running if for several days as an experiment.  It doesn't include an on-access real-time scanner but does allow manual scanning of files, directories, partitions.  I figure it's better than nothing at this point because I'm pushing the limits with Vail, running on a test box as an OS with things like browser security disabled.

Tom

Friday, May 7, 2010 9:54 PM
  • I don't disagree on the suggestion. But since Vail is based on Server 2008 R2, it would mean that MSE would have to be validated on that OS. I doubt its in the WHS team's scope to do that.

So I'm not saying not to ask for it, just that it would probably never get done for logistical reasons

Friday, May 7, 2010 10:41 PM