Streaming FLAC Files RRS feed

• Question

• I have all my CDs ripped to FLAC and stored on my HP Windows Home Server. I also have a Netgear MP101 which plays mp3 files from a library. The problem is that I don't want to transcode all my FLAC files just so that I can play them through the MP101 (and other devices). Therefore, I need something that makes my FLAC files look like mp3 files and then transcodes them on the fly when requested. What software will I need and how do I set this up?

Please note that when I have to proper setup in a couple of months I would like to also play these files through something like GB-PVR including album art. Any help is appreciated.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 5:09 AM

Answers

• As far as I know, there is no Windows Home Server add-in that will do what you want. You'll have to find transcoding software that will work in your environment and install it on your server, where it will probably effectively replace the server's built-in streaming. TVersity is probably your best bet...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 12, 2009 3:20 PM

All replies

• As far as I know, there is no Windows Home Server add-in that will do what you want. You'll have to find transcoding software that will work in your environment and install it on your server, where it will probably effectively replace the server's built-in streaming. TVersity is probably your best bet...
    Monday, October 12, 2009 3:20 PM
  • The Firefly media server should be able to transcode from FLAC to MP3.
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 3:29 PM
  • I'm not sure that flac support is compiled into the version on the HP Mediasmart server. I don't use FLAC myself, however, so I don't have an easy/quick way to test. The way the OP's question was worded makes me think it isn't, however...
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:19 PM
  • I have to confess I haven't yet got WHS (I'm in the process of researching it - hence discovering this thread), but I'm currently using Firefly on a linux platform to transcode FLAC to WAV for my Soundbridges. I did have to tweak a few settings in the Firefly config file however.
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 5:34 PM
  • try dbPowerAmp Asset UPnP:
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm

I also have all my CDs ripped as FLAC on WHS.  Asset UPnP can transcode FLAC to WAV or MP3 on the fly.  (actually it can transcode pretty much any format to any format on the fly)  So far my experience has been good with it, works well with Windows 7 Media Player on client machines.  If you want to work with iTunes you would also need to setup FireFly.

Chris

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 4:37 PM